Sunday, May 13, 2007

Was it or wasn't it a Good Mother's Day service.

I asked, "Did you miss your mother's day sermon today?" No, she said, "it was like,
did you bake the cookies this morning, was what rang out loud". For her, it was like the tone of the sermon on the role of the mother from the perspective of the pastor. Can you imagine?

She did not miss the sermon on Mothers Day, today! I wonder if there are others?

What, you didn't miss the sermon on the "virtuous woman?" What, you didn't miss the flower given in honor. What, you didn't miss being recognized in the service? I'm beginning to think more mothers dislike Mother's Day sermons on Mother's Day than we could ever imagine!

Would someone please tell me what you think the mothers day service should look like? Or was your service something to be cherished? Or should Mother's Day become the day we the children honor our own mother? Let the kids speak the sermon instead of some paid clergy who doesn't really have a clue.

I always hated preaching on Mother's Day! It was always an impossible deal! How do you honor and please all those women/mothers in a manner worthy of their sacrifice and love? Come to think of it, I hated Father's Day too.

Well, what do you think? And, is what you think worth sharing?

5 Comments:

At May 13, 2007 7:44 PM, Blogger Paul Neel said...

This is exactly how we felt at our church this year. We used a countdown video that included a welcome to moms and some quotes about motherhood, then a welcome to moms was given during the announcements. After that, it was on with worship. I really appreciated what I was told ththis week when the issue of the focus of the Mother's Day service was discussed, "we are not here to worship mothers". Our pastor did a great job talking about what a follower of Christ looks like. A great message for all of us, including those who may have been there today just to please mom!

 
At May 13, 2007 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bob, why didn't you ever do what you said, let the children do it?

 
At May 14, 2007 7:52 AM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Anon...Great question. Now that I'm not pastoring (my choice) I can step back and review my life and reflect on the way I did ministry. Sadly, I conclude that I most often did what was expected of me by the way we do things in the American church and the expectations of the people I served. (Emphasis on served).

If I ever had the chance to do it over I would relinquish that duty to the kids. People can change and I am changing.

I think in the church we often have practices that hurt more people under the cover of honor.

Kids should honor their mother's/father's if they choose to do so.

I think mother;s go to church on Mother's Day and hold their breathe until the sermon is over with fear and trembling.

Do mothers want to respond here?

 
At May 14, 2007 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did not go to church on Sunday. My mother did. I chose to serve my family on this day so to give my wife some need rest. I then went to my mother's house and helped her with different task she need done. That is how I spent my Mother's Day. Wrong? Maybe, but it was right to me! John

 
At May 14, 2007 1:16 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

John can you hear me? Applause, applause, applause!

You did yourself proud or I'm proud of you.

What a great thing to do for the ladies in your life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters