Saturday, October 07, 2006

Well, did you?

Well, did any of you have any God led encounters with lost people? As a Pastor I was so busy getting ready for the next Sunday and taking care of administrative duties I didn't have much time left. I was so busy in the church I had no time outside of the church ministry to build relationships with lost people. Sadly, I had no time for engaging lost people in community. But now, I have more decided not to ever be too consumed with the already reached so I will have time to invest in those needing Jesus as theHoly Spirit leads. I would rather not be doing anything else. It's great to see God at work in our world.

Did anyone else have any God led encounters with people. Everyday and everywhere I go I pray that God will pave the way and that there will be people who need to be engaged by a Christ follower like you and me. And you know what? God comes through when I am aware and listening to God as He prompts me to action. Again, I have to be looking and listening and I have found that God's Spirit is constantly preparing people for personal friendship encounters with willing believers.

What do I say in those God encounters with lost people? I just say hi or how are you doing or I give them a compliment on something I saw them do or say. Then I listen! It really works. Often people want to know more and they ask questions and I answer them as best I can. Sometimes I cannot give a good answer - but I wait upon God to give me wisdom and He does. Most importantly, I have to be prepared and always ready to listen to God and also those I need to see and engage for Jesus.

This is the first step of discipleship. Discipleship always begins with lost people and as we disciple ( or continue conversation and relationships) eventually we have the privilege of introducing Jesus to them. It amazing how God opens the door and many times my pre-disciple is the one who leads and asks the questions that eventually brings Jesus into the conversation and also into their lives.

Well, did you have any of those Holy Spirit led encounters this week? Can just anyone do this -of course anyone can? Can you talk or listen or wait upon God? You'll know it is God making a way when it happens, tha tis if you are listening.

Well, have you had any God encounters this week with anyone outside the church? I'll be waiting to hear the stories you have to share. This should be my best post with record comments.

I'll be waiting! :)

4 Comments:

At October 08, 2006 7:10 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

What does no comments mean?

 
At October 09, 2006 11:49 PM, Blogger Jessica Sanford said...

It means you're making the wheels turn :) Keep it up!

 
At October 11, 2006 6:45 AM, Blogger Dr. Terry M. Goodwin said...

Two come to mind. I was at a friends house and their neighbor came over for a quick visit. This person is an unchurched person that my friends have built a strong relationship with. They are moving at the end of this month and the conversation turned to loading and unloading trucks. They have no help with this move. They have only lived here a short time and are moving about ten minutes away. As she agonized over the thought of all those boxes my wheels are turning as to how many men I could get on the 28th of this month to give up a Saturday morning to move a house and maybe a heart. I will let you know how it turns out.

Same friends house - same night. Some Christian friends of theirs are having a tough time. They just had a new baby and he is working overtime to help with the expenses. I was told the mom was overwhelmed by some repairs that her hubby could not do, no funds for a few simply things like another car seat, and the need for a vehicle that would hold the whole family. I asked my friend if she would be God's go between here and get the specifics so we can ask God to intervene on their behalf. Anybody got a good Mini-van for under $3500.00?

Bob - I know you asked about encounters with the unchurched but let's not forget meeting needs of the Christians around us as well.

 
At October 12, 2006 1:18 AM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Terry -I agree totally. You are an inspiration to me. You work all day while ministering in the market place and then you minister every evening pouring your life into people (disicples) teaching them to go and do it themselves. You also serve the needs of beleivers and whatever you have left -you might get to sleep a few hours. I admire you and pray for you.

BUT! As you well know some of the people who read this blog need to be kicked in the butt when it comes to the Great Commission mandate to become a disciple multiplier who disciples others to multiply.

Having said all of this -you are one of the few I know who actually do both!

My blessings and prayers are with you. You are my pastor and friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters