Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A Fish Aquarium isn't always just another...

I have 15 minutes before we load up on NWA for my return flight! So I'll try to get my thoughts together quickly.

I met with several pastor's downtown Portland two days ago. Ron always finds these neat places to share lunch. This time Japanese cuisine. We were seated and I noticed a huge fish aquarium stretching across the wall. While it was beautiful, I wasn't easily impressed. I quickly scanned the tank and appreciated the colorful fish. That's it. Just another aquarium with fish and the added "fake" stuff.

You know where this is going. At the end of our meal, George and I hung back and talked. I noticed George constantly glancing at the aquarium. I asked George, "Do you like the fish?" He answered, "Yes, but I like the other stuff in the tank a whole lot more." What stuff?

It was then that I realized that this was no ordinary aquarium. It was a live sea tank with live coral of all types, a huge large clam, live rock and so many other things with names and features I have never seen or heard before. This stuff was moving and alive and I almost missed one of the most spectacular things I have ever seen. It looked like the others but there was something significantly different.

I wonder how many people miss the church because we look like the Church? What would happen if the world could see that it is real, alive and not fake? When I saw the real deal I was caught by it.

5 Comments:

At February 28, 2007 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me and your friend are similar...I would have been hard pressed to take my eyes off the aquarium and talk to you.

Something about aquariums really attracts me. They're attractional.

 
At March 01, 2007 5:38 AM, Blogger Dr. Terry M. Goodwin said...

Aquariums are amazing. We are drawn to them for various reasons. We can watch them for hours. Some stare and long to understand the fish. Some imagine being more like the fish. In the end though the fish have very little lasting effect on the observer and the observer goes away feeling good about what they saw and yet still dry.

You are right Mike – they are attractional.

 
At March 01, 2007 7:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terry: You're bad. :)

Talking JUST about aquariums here. You know, though, that sometimes you just need to have the escape for your brain. And that's not a bad thing. For me, they can serve as sort of a reboot.

 
At March 01, 2007 7:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Bobert!

Just wanted to let you and some of my blog readers from here know that my blog "Epic" is coming to an end to make room for the next chapter in my blogolife. The new one is found at:
www.awaitingrain.typepad.com

 
At March 01, 2007 4:28 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Hey guys, why not try this new church growth idea. Let's be the first church with a live surround aquarium with fish swimming all the sanctuary. You could be the only church in a America that has a large sea life aquarium.

Let's go to LeSea Ministries and let's see the fish! If you do not like the music or the sermon, just watch those colorful things do what those colorful things (fish) do in church.

Instead of just being a fishbowl, let's put some fish in it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters