Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Let's just pray the prayer...

I've been thinking about this post for a reasonable amount of time.

On many occasions after during the 10:00 p.m. local news there is this commercial of a guy who is apparently a pastor with a great heart to win people to Christ. But he does something that concerns me greatly. I've done it more than I care to admit because now I see how wrong or misleading it can be. He talks about Jesus, what Jesus came to do, how much Jesus wants to change us, forgive us and I love this part. Then He says, if you want to become a Christian, or know Jesus, pray this prayer. He then leads the Television audience through a sinners prayer. Upon the Amen his countenance changes and a smile comes on his face and he tells everyone if you prayed the prayer you are now a follower of Jesus Christ. I must ask, are they really a follower of Christ without repentance (turning from sin and redirecting their life towards Jesus and walking in His footsteps of obedience)?

What if I am right, which I always think I am and of which I am not always, what happens if I ammmm right on this one. What if, the message is pray the prayer, now I know Jesus, I'm going to heaven, but then there is little or no transformation of mind, heart and lifestyles? They need to know how to follow Jesus. They need to know that what follows in their life is what affirms the intent of their prayer to Jesus. Wen someone prays the prayer, and does not know the cost of praying such a prayer we just misled them and may actually seal their own eternal fate/doom.

I think this approach cheapens the Gospel message of redemption down to a prayer with little or no transformation because those praying the prayer do not understand the ramifications and or cost of following Jesus. Many I fear, pray the prayer, think they are saved because of the prayer but have little or no life, mind and heart change. Jesus to the rich man, "If you want to follow me, give up your riches, all of them" My paraphrase, do this because your riches are your God and you cannot serve God and mammon.

Thots?

2 Comments:

At September 04, 2007 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

exactly why i havent lead anyone to christ in a while. they dont EVER want to repent. they want the salvation without repentence.

 
At September 07, 2007 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly. We must commit to an ongoing process of evangelism and discipleship. Evangelism without discipleship is like taking a bath and never changing your underwear! You may get clean, but nothing really changes. That's why the greatcommission is to "make disciples" and not "just tell people about Jesus".

Kevin P. - San Jose, CA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters