Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Be cash-ful in a cashless society...

Technological advancements are not always the friend of God and His purposes for our lives. I'm reminded of 2 Timothy 4:2, "Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage - with great patience and careful instruction."

When looking at 2 Timothy 4:2 I am fast realizing that for far too long we have (at least I have) looked at this passage through narrow glasses. It is not just a voice command. It is a life command. It involves active obedience which is lived out in our actions as well as in our voices if you get what I mean.

Lately, I've been thinking allot about stewardship. God has been teaching me things about being prepared in and out of season to give to others. I love to give. I'm especially excited when I hear about a need and the resources to meet that need are in my wallet. The problem is that I have not always been known to carry allot of cash. I use the debit technology very well. Debit technology has made my life easier to manage. At the same time it has limited God's ability to use His resources through me in situations of spontaneity. IF I CARRY LITTLE OR NO CASH - THE NEEDS THAT GOD WANTS TO MEET THROUGH ME ARE LIMITED WHEN I'M ON THE STREET SHOWING PEOPLE WHO JESUS IS. WHAT IF A NEED COMES UP AND I HAVE NO RESOURCES ON HAND TO MEET THE NEED? I have an easy out NOT to help, after all I have no money on me.

By now you are seeing where this is going. On two recent occasions God has taught me why I need to keep some cash tucked away in my wallet. On two occasions I had cash and God made me empty my wallet. That's benevolence and that is not a reimbursed expense. It is what Jesus taught us to do. That's how it works in the Disciple Driven Church. We must be ready in and out of season to speak out and give out into the lives of others at the very second the need is revealed, not ten days later after the board meets.

As believers we should carry discretionary cash to use in "ministry to the world" as God reveals those needs to us as we live out in the streets. Let me encourage you to tuck some funds back and then ask God to show you how He wants you to use them in the world.

Being cashless in the world is not a good thing if we are going to be ready in and out of season to spread the Word or the message of Christ to those in need. Don't cop out and let the church take you off the hook.

In the future I see believers making a difference because they are giving a difference in the world. Did I say personally and not just corporately?

Can you now see the advantages of carrying cash in a cash-less society? If you carry cash for that purpose I would expect God to use it for that purpose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters