Monday, July 28, 2008

Why don't we???

Let me share a beef I have and I remind you it is a RANT spoken in generalities.

WHY do we as believers NOT take care of other believers, in the marketplace that is?
In the market place it seems that there is room for believers to take care of other believers through networking and job offerings. If you are a believer it carries little or no weight during the interview. Why is this? Why wouldn't large corporations want believers wouldn't that be an asset? Hummm!

I have a friend who was recently and grossly mistreated in his last church and is now unemployed with a large family to feed and cloth. He has been out of the workforce for too long they say. He is qualified, he is sharp, there is no reason that I can see that he should be penalized for being out of the marketplace for too long while serving in the church all these years. A professing believer did his one and only interview. I'm RANTING! Why don't believers stick together anymore? Doesn't having a Christ follower on your staff or in your employment count for anything anymore? Whatsup with that? Do we or do we not as believers add salt or value to society in the marketplace?

Did you know that the Masonic Lodge members network to help their friends who are also Masons succeed in the market place. If someone loses their job then the network kicks in and helps the brothers out. This is another reason there is a growing populous of free masons living among us.

Why is there no Christian network to assist believers who have fallen on hard times. Why does the world have an upper hand on us? Where are the believers in the marketplace and why are they not sticking up for brothers and sisters of the faith? Believers it seems pay little notice of the fact that the brother or sister is a believer. Or maybe there are few believers in high places of authority. Who knows?

Jus wonderin...

7 Comments:

At July 28, 2008 1:28 PM, Blogger Zach said...

You know the thing that's really irritating? If brothers and sisters in Christ DID begin to be there for each other on the job scene, all the civil rights fanatics will be all up in arms, crying "AAAHHH!!!!! Selection based on religious stance!! Prejudice!!!! CHARGE!!!!!" and people would get sued. (everything in quotes is a dramatization). The world is set up to keep the bride of Christ isolated from herself. The devil does own the world, after all.

 
At July 30, 2008 10:22 AM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Or does the world instead like to blend us in instead of isolating her.

Zach, think about how we are blending in. Satan doesn't want us isolated -he wants us blended so much so that there is little or difference between us and the world.

We are being blended badly...

 
At July 30, 2008 5:36 PM, Blogger Zach said...

its both, really, isnt it? our enemy wants us to blend in with the world, not shinging the light and glory of Christ and isolated from each other, because a partof the body is really rather useless on its own, isnt it?

 
At July 31, 2008 5:35 AM, Blogger Michael Ehret said...

If "we" don't do something in one case does that mean we aren't doing it all?

No.

Almost every Christian I know prefers to work with, network with, fellow Christians when possible. Actually, instead of asking why don't we do this (we do), I would expect you to chastise the church for doing this. After all, if we're only (or mostly) interacting with our "own" then we're not availing ourselves of the opportunity to share Christ with a potential non Christian.

I have benefitted from the Christian network myself many times and have, many times, sought out Christians as contractors, real estate agents, freelance writers, etc.

Not sure I understand your beef, Bob.

 
At July 31, 2008 3:45 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Mike - would you hire a believer over an unbeliever even if the unbeliever was more qualified for the job.

Jus wonderin...

 
At August 01, 2008 6:50 AM, Blogger Michael Ehret said...

In general, I don't believe in "quotas" or "affirmative action." So, no. In theory, I would hire the most qualified person -- regardless of religion. I don't want to be hired because I'm a Christian. I want to be hired because I'm qualified to do the job.

Now, of course, if adherance to Christianity is integral to the job (a pastor, an editor at Christianity Today, the director of a Christian pre-school), then, yes, I would prefer the Christian candidate over the non Christian -- because their Christianity will help them do the job better.

That said, when I went looking for someone to do some construction around my home, I did NOT look beyond my brothers at Church because I knew they were qualified. When I needed a Realtor, I did not go beyond the person at church because she's qualified.

So in those cases, yes, I did preferred someone I know who is a Christian over someone who may be better qualified who may NOT be a Christian. But that was because it was easier for me. I did not have to interview/hire someone because a qualified candidate was right there.

 
At August 01, 2008 11:14 AM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Point proven!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters