Thursday, July 31, 2008

Pastors are being mutilated...

Since we have done some stewardship in recent posts, let me continue with another slant. In ministry these days it is the power brokers who control the church. I'd rather say they are holding the church hostage. Those with the most control win.

I just heard of another pastor who will be locked out because the power brokers have gotten together. Imagine that. Giving is down because they are making their giving down. Who would have ever thought in my lifetime that those who give the most get the most and control the most. Of course that has not and is not true of some who give with no strings attached. I have very wealthy donors (friends) who have given without control their entire lives. I greatly respect people who have the resources and they surrender them to God as faithful stewards with not a mention or suspect of wanting to control anything or anyone.

It's important for us as churchmen (if that is what we are) to hold the line on power brokers in the church. When we see them getting into power plays they must be confronted and disciplined. If someone wants to give with the hint of wanting to control you - don't accept the donation. We must not let any human being control the church with their donations or lack thereof.

When will we begin to see the Pastor as one appointed by God and not one who is fired upon at will or worse yet (maybe) fired when we get tired of him? It's amazing how lonely the job of pastor becomes when you cannot be bribed, bought or controlled. THIS IS PRECISELY the reason I am not pastoring at this time. I refused to cave in to one man's demands -demands that would have caused me to sell my soul. I cannot be bought and you shouldn't be either. When you come to that place be careful - you just might just get thrown away.

2 Comments:

At July 31, 2008 3:58 PM, Blogger Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

I know you can not be bought, Bob. This is merely one of many reasons why my family loves you.

You're a rare breed among men. Most pastors these days have a price, and there is always someone in the church who is willing to pay it.

Bless you, Bob.

 
At August 02, 2008 11:36 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

thanks for your comments, Mamacita.

It gets me into trouble though.

Like Paul, you can persecute me, you can kill me but you cannot stop me as long as God is leading me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters