Friday, May 19, 2006

What if I challenge your thinking, What if?

What would happen if I challenge your thinking, or if I am overly zealous at communicating clear Biblical truth and it challenges you or causes you to feel angry or even get defensive? Should I instead soften my position or present it with a sugar coating to help you see the Truth I wish for you to see?

I think not! I am confronting with boldness the Americanized version of Christianity because somehow we think in America we have it right and we are doing Church right. What would Jesus say? Would He in His attempts to communicate bold truth -turn around and sugar coat the cleansing of the temple? Would Jesus be satisfied with our taking His death and sacrifice so lightly- by not using it to reach others?

I now find myself making people uncomfortable in a cause to do "Christianity" Jesus' way and not man's way. This is making people angry, I may even lose support over it, I may even be labeled a heretic over it. But you know what? I am doing it Jesus' way and I refuse to do it man's way ever again. Overly zealous - not unlike Jesus or Paul!

If we are not winning and discipling the lost we not in God's will -period. There is value in the supremacy of the Great Commission. Jesus gave it for all -even the already reached are suppose to take the Gospel -share it and disciple those who receive it or the Savior.

Do I sound harsh -yes! It needs to be harsh because sugar coating it doesn't work and there must be a prophetic voice in America to share her up. Am I a prophet -No! Am I communicating in a prophetic voice -only God knows if He is using me to speak truth even if it brings disaster in my life. I just know we are losing ground with our man made approaches in ministry and we are failing. When will we wake up and see it?

One more thing, if I am speaking the Truth and what if God is working through me to communicate Truth the way He wants me to communicate Truth and you decide I'm too harsh or not loving enough in my position and then you walk away from the Truth. What happens then?

Perhaps it is time to do "Christianity" the Jesus way and not our own.

I also know I am not being a stumbling block to anyone. To be a stumbling block one needs to keep people from finding Jesus! Actually some believers are stumbling blocks and maybe even some churches are stumbling blocks. To be a stumbling block you must keep people from finding Jesus. Are people finding Jesus where you live and worship?

Timely thoughts for those stuck in ruts...

5 Comments:

At May 20, 2006 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think there's a difference between sugar-coating, which I wouldn't want you to do and would never ask you to do, and emphasizing the positive aspects of what you're doing.

How is it sugar-coating to point out the successes you're having and encourage, even challenge, others to join you, while doing so without appearing to slam the work of our home churches?

Not everyone has had your experience. Not everyone is called to the same ministry you are. Yes, we are all called to reach others for Christ, no argument there. But we are not all called to do it the same way you do.

Are we all feet? Are we all hands? Is our work invalid if we're not doing ministry in the same way?

Your heart right now is to reach more lost for Christ. Fabulous! Wonderful! That's the primary reason we support you -- and will keep doing so.

But am I wrong if my heart is to re-energize those already in the church?

 
At May 20, 2006 10:57 AM, Blogger Bill said...

Hi Bob!

In a recent gathering of our leaders in March one of the Bishops of our denomination made this powerful statement and it has stuck with me.

"Those whom God has awakened the church MUST NOT put to sleep."

I totally understand your thoughts here. They resonate with me. We had this struggle with a few people at the last church I pastored. A couple people wanted us to to stop outreach and focus all of our resources, time, and energy on discipleship. Of course discipleship is essential. But what I couldn't get this brother to understand was the REASON we disciple people; which is to equip them to carry out the great commission.

We reach the lost so that we can make disciples who will reach the lost.

 
At May 20, 2006 10:40 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Mike, All I can say is..tell me about those who have been reached lately, maybe in the last six monthes or even last year. O.k. with me if you do it different, I just pray you or your system will do it.

I'm not really slamming anyone or am I?

We are not all feet or hands or heads or eyes, I agree. But no matter if we are hands or feet or eyes or heads, we are all called to make disciples who make disciples.

If your system does not make disciples whomake disciples who make disciples then it is time for reenergizing them. I 'll wait why you do that. And I'll look for the results. Don't be discourage dif they don't engage a disciple making disciples making other disciples ministry. I'm not sure they will accept your reenergizing influence.

I will wait watch and listen for results.

 
At May 20, 2006 10:41 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Bill,
Why is it that many cannot see what you and I see so clearly. Thankyou for the post. I need you deserately in St. Louis...making disciple swho are making disciples and on and one to geometric progression disciplemaking which is endless growth.

 
At May 21, 2006 6:42 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Hey Bob.

Thank you much for your kind words. I would love to be able to return to St. Louis and plant the movement that's germinating in my heart. I love the area and I know personally of the great harvest there.

God is going to have to speak to us in a powerful way. Lynn and I will both have to hear clearly and unmistakably that we're to leave here and come there. God's going to have to break through in a powerful way in terms of provision.

Be assured that my heart beats passionately for what you're doing there. Perhaps God will permit us to join you.

Love ya brother.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters