Monday, May 15, 2006

Someone Said I Was Getting Predictable

Can you believe someone would tell me of all people, such a thing. Who me, predictable?

When looking for a pastor or a church planter what are we looking for? Do we ask the right questions? Are we interested in how they preach, look, how large of a church they can handle, how well they take care of the people they have in their flock, leadership or managerial strengths?

Wrong questions? While somewhat important I think so. The real question lies in the passion of their heart. What makes them burn with passion for God and for His purposes for our lives. When they preach or speak do they preach with an outward focus toward the purposes of God or do they speak to the already reached. Sometimes when they speak to the already reached and their needs -it could be an indication of what is to come. Is he focussed on pleasing mankind or God and the fulfillment of His purposes for us? Did he tell you about a recent soul he won to Jesus? Did the Great Commission ever come up?

The other day I was following up on a lead. I was asking some probing questions. What have you done recently to fulfill God's purposes by way of the kingdom? His answer was something I have heard over and over again. When we get a building, or when I get this or that, our home is too small to have people over-so when we get a bigger home, when I become full time in the ministry -then I will be able to reach the people.

I'm not interested in those who are waiting to expand the kingdom. We are looking for people who demonstrate passion for the kingdom and are already doing it. They have the passion of God in their hearts and they are moving with an outward focus to fulfill God's mandate and to expand the kingdom.

Sure the already reached are important. The question is, are they expanding the kingdom or are they hindering the expansion of the kingdom. Sometimes they are hindering the kingdom and you can certainly tell me a hundred ways the Church in America is hindering God's work. What you may not include in your list is how self-centered and self serving we the already reach can be. When it revolves around our needs and wants it cannot revolve around Jesus and His desires for the Church.

When are questions are self-serving -they are the wrong questions.

Why would anyone want or hire a Church planter or even a pastor who doesn't have a proven track record of personally leading people to Jesus with up to date stories to tell? Sadly, Churches across America hire without ever asking the right questions.

Predictable, not me.

3 Comments:

At May 16, 2006 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Predictable? I don't see that at all, in fact, in our one brief face to face and a few phone calls I have experienced a man seeking the heart of a wild, unpredictable, terrifying, loving and compassionate God. I have experienced a man who because he is seeking the heart of God will continue to become more unbalanced, more unstable and God willing so unpredictable that those around him will shake their collective heads and utter, "he used to be so predictable, what a shame." Then we will be sure that the Spirit, the unpredictable Spirit of God, will be fully present in him life.......That is the man I know so far and look forward to seeing more of in the furture.

 
At May 17, 2006 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what he didn't say in his post, is that the comment was made "tongue in cheek" in response to his response to a story I forwarded on church politics.

I knew what his response would be, so I called him predictable -- in THAT situation.

 
At May 17, 2006 9:09 AM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Mike, you helped me write a great post..which I also wrote tongue in cheek.

I sure hope we continue to be friends as you and I push at each other's walls.

I want to get you out of that boat and swimming with the sharks. There's nothing greater than to be swimming with the sharks and unless God shows up -you will be eaten alive.

You also know, that Beaulah would never receive my unpredictable sermon for them and the rest of established Christianity.

We like it in neat little packages and I don't have any of those anymore.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters