Wednesday, June 28, 2006

How sad!

I heard of a pastor in a recent story connected to me in a variety of ways. Well anyway this pastor wears a white shirt every day and even mows his grass in it. I don't really care what a person wears or does not wear. However, I prefer shorts and T-Shirt these days. Some days my dress up is jeans and a button down shirt. Since my Beulah pastoring days and 23 years of pastoring the institutional church I have not even had a suit on, I'm not even sure they fit my well rounded and expanding figure.

Anyway, this white shirt Pastor was invited to his family birthday celebration. Guess what? He refused the invitation while in town for a couple of days because his family drinks a litle wine "maybe" at the party. Is it any wonder the church is dying in America. As I thought about this decision "not to go for the reason stated" I was reminded of what Jesus would have done. Jesus would have gone to the party and there is a strong possibility He would also have a glass of wine. His culture permitted it and He drank it and made it. I'm not encouraging abuse, I'm making a point. Jesus loved to hang out with the "party" people.

Am I really that off track? Don't focus on the wine -focus on Jesus and His method of building relationships.

3 Comments:

At June 28, 2006 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No you are not off track. The relationship is the key, not the drink you have while building it. If my family drinks a beer while sitting around the campfire and I have a pop (or a beer, whatever) it is not the drink that is important. It's our discussion. Our community. The lives we're living with each other.

If I'm not around the campfire (and you know how much I HATE camping!) because a beer might be present, I can't even hope to ever disciple those people. Or even be in a position to plant a seed of discipleship.

 
At June 28, 2006 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob wrote: I'm not even sure they fit my well rounded and expanding figure.

Mike replies: Maybe you need a jogging ministry! :)

 
At June 29, 2006 11:49 AM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Mike,

I had a potential planter tell me that if an unchurched person offered him a beer he would take it...Not to drink but too connect. He said, "God looks at my motive for drinking that beer with a lost person." He admittedly doesn't drink - but he would in the right context with the right motive.

Interesting aye? Here's a guy who is winning people to Jesus!

And I will start the jogging ministry tommorrow -If my fat bellie doesn't slap me in the face.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters