Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Is America Really In Trouble?

I'm pondering this thot after speaking to yet another Pastor who is disillusioned with the state of the American Church. Clearly Americanized Christianity is losing ground.

We must not forsake the millions who have not yet had the opportunity to accept or reject Jesus. It's clear that the American Church is in serious trouble because younger Pastors are not waiting until they are in their 40's and 50's to leave the pastorate , they are leaving in their 20's. Oh don't get me wrong when I say they are leaving, they are not leaving Christ, nor are they leaving the Church, they are just leaving the Americanized version of Christianity. And maybe that is a good thing! Not maybe!

It could be the best thing ever if those twenty something pastors use their passion to reach lost people in spite of the American Church failures to do so. Actually I believe there are leaders in their 20's, 30's, 40's, 50', 60's and some others who with conviction are so passionate they will risk everything to see a new wineskin and a New Testament ministry developed in America.

When I speak with those passionate leaders my blood pumps faster through my veins and hope springs up within me as I see renewed hope for the Harvest in America.

Now I have come to this conclusion...The American Church is in trouble, not America. I believe God is raising up a new generation of leaders who will dare to go where no other leader has even thought of venturing. These leaders are of all stages in life but predominately of the younger generations who are fed up with games, politics, institutions and just taking care of the already reached so they can be more comfortable.

There you have my take on the deal...America is in goods hands as God rasies up a new leader for a new day to serve a new wineskin approach to the fulfillment of the Great Commission. If the American Church won't do -God will create a Church that will. America is not in trouble -the American Church is. Younger leaders will not serve a Church with such a self-serving cause. They are opting for real life transformation and incarnational ministry.

My hats off to those who refuse to be complacent and who fight status quo and who refuse to be part of such inadequate results in the Americanized version of Church or is it church. If you can't change the Church in America in becoming Great Commission in heart and practice -it's time to jump off that sinking ship. The already reached are already reached -what will we lose anyway?

4 Comments:

At June 13, 2006 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob,
I respect very much what you are saying. Yet, I feel the need to once again respectfully disagree with the old verses new mentality that you write about. It is all those who serve our risen Lord Jesus--institutional church, house church, whatever, reaching out to the lost and hurting. I attended a new members class at the request and invitation of a local pastor friend of mine the other evening. The testimonies that I was blessed to hear many of those at the class tell left me in tears. This is an institutional church, a United Methodist Church at that, reaching the lost with the timeless Good News of Christ. I can't believe that this is a negative thing. I don't think you do either. How about we seek to do what God calls us to do, each in the way that we are most gifted and lead, and allow God to do what He does with our work? The verses mentality leaves us all much poorer in the end. Hang in there. You are as passionate a person as I have ever encountered. Hang on to God. See you next week?
Peace
Jim

 
At June 13, 2006 11:31 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

I love this, keep reading and writing. Jim you inspire me to greater and deeper things.

God is working in all systems but is there more God wants to do? If only the institutional American Church would grab the supremacy of the Great Commission and put legs on reaching lost people!

I agree with you. It is both and, I just think God expects more out the Americanized version of Christianity.

Peace my Brother

 
At June 13, 2006 11:54 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Afterall, America is still in trouble.

 
At June 14, 2006 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or, perhaps, God is doing a new thing in and with America...wouldn't be exciting to find out what that is and get on board to be a part? Here's hoping and praying that we do.

Peace

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters