Monday, July 17, 2006

I'm Tired of Babysitting Fruitless People

Is anyone like me, tired of babysitting fruitless people? The Bible makes clear that there are four types of soil. Three and one! Three unfruitful and one full of fruit.

The first type of soil is hard and unresponsive. The seed never penetrates the soil's hard surface. If that is not a description of Missouri soil where I live, I don't know what is. Talk about hard -my yard without water is clay like concrete.

The second type of soil is shallow. The seed grows but with blistering sunshine it will die for lack of deep roots. Again, Missouri soil where I live - When I moved here, my yard was full of rocks and limestone. When the grass dies, I can always find the culprit, little soil and rock underneath.

The third type of soil is thorn infested. This represent the plant that grows and hears the truth but the truth is eventualy choked out. Part of my yard is reclaiming part of the woods into a yard. Roots are everywhere, so many that digging was next to impossible. Whatever I do plant -well you know the story. We know people like this, they believe, but they also have things in there lives that choke God out.

The fourth type of soil is the good soil. This is the soil that bears fruit, some thirty fold, some sixty fold and some a hundred fold. As I told you before I have clay in my yard. But in my flower beds I hauled in great topsoil. Guess where my stuff is growing best? You guessed it, my flower and shrub beds. God wants each of us to bear fruit that lasts. Call it witnessing or disciplemaking nonetheless it is deliberate fruit making.

Can I dare ask? Why would anyone spend their lives investing in soil that will not produce fruit? I don't know a farmer in the world who would invest in seed, fertilizer and hard work for a fruitless crop. What do you think about this? If ten people accept Christ and only two bear fruit, I am not investing any time in the other 8 people. I'm spending all my time in those who bear fruit. Radical for us -you better believe it. Radical for God -He is always pruning the dead and fruitless branches from the vine.

Here's my point: Our churches are full of fruitless people. And sadly, most of our ministry is to those who are fruitless which also makes our ministry fruitless. What do you think would happen to the Church in America if we instead invested in the fruit bearers and left the rest to fend for themselves in their fruitless misery? I guess I really do believe that I should invest everything in those who will bear fruit. Oh, I'll give everyone a chance to prove that they will not bear fruit. But imagine this, if all the attention went to the fruitbearers, how much more would all the other fruitless ones get off there butts and get into the harvest fields. When I focus on bearing fruit and spending my time with fruitbearers- eventually all the fruitless ones will take notice and start their working or whining. I suspect most will engage in whining. I know, I spent 23 years listening to it.

Perhaps it is time to wipe the dust off of our feet when we meet those who want us to waste our time in fruitless living in hard, shallow ad throny soil.. If Satan can get us focussing on unfruitfulness and loving it -He has succeeded.

I'm tired of babysittin the so called saints in Churches of unfruitful soil. Anyone out there as tired as I am?

9 Comments:

At July 19, 2006 9:01 AM, Blogger Bill said...

I am finding more and more that fruitless people are often the product of frutless leaders.

I'm working on me first, asking God to make me and my life a vineyard of fruitfulness. Only then can I lead others into the same way of life.

 
At July 19, 2006 9:18 AM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Bill, This way to good. I'll do the same, only I have more to work on, I'm sure.

As you pray that your life is a vineyard of fruitfulness, I pray with you and for you, please remember me.

 
At July 22, 2006 10:11 AM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Bill - I agree with you and I'm working as you are, but let's not forget that hard,shallow and thorny soil cannot produce lasting fruit. Even the best of leaders cannot change that until they decide to spread cow manure around themselves, pull rocks, and remove the thorns that distract and choke Jesus out of their lives..

I agree with you and as you know as I stated above, this is the problem with the American version of Christianity.

There are fruitless leaders, and shallow, hardened and thorny pew sitters.

Jesus tells us to move on to those who who are ready for the message -those with good soil (receptive soil).

Amen brother!

 
At July 23, 2006 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you know the what the difference between a jaded preacher and a jet engine is when they arrive in florida ? the jet engine quits whinning.

 
At July 24, 2006 1:53 PM, Blogger Bill said...

I'm assuming this "anonymous" is the same "anonymous" who did a drive-by comment on your other post.

Anonymous...do you have a point? Do you have the kahunas to identify yourself?

 
At July 24, 2006 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no, he or she certainly doesn't. It's just provocation for the sake of provocation. People like that are all over Blogland, as I'm sure you've seen elsewhere.

Love the "driveby" term. What these drive-by postings offer us is the opportunity to pray blessings on them. They are anonymous to everyone but God. He knows, he sees, he cares, he loves. I believe they did not happen by here accidentally.

Love ya, Anonymous! Hope you find the One who will give you an identity -- a true identity.

 
At July 26, 2006 6:18 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Dear Anonymous,

As I served my last Church in northern Indiana my staff and I declared Monday as grouch and whine day. I must have written that article on Monday. :)

Actually I love ranting,raving, grouching and whining. I find it therapeutic when dealing with church people. Are you a church people (person)?

At least I can admit it and sign my name to it.

I love you in Jesus!

 
At July 31, 2006 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grouch and Whine Day? That would have been fun to know...

Today is Grouch and Whine Day!

 
At July 31, 2006 10:55 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Mike, all you have to do is set a day each week and grouch to your hearts desire.

It is fun! I love it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters