Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Organic Ministry Takes No Money

A very good and truthful friend reminded me that if we are going to be a part of ministry that grows organically we really don't need money. Is he right? Please understand the distinction between organic ministry and institutional ministry. Of course to replicate the church ministry model predominate in America it does take alott of money. But this question refers to Organic New Testament Ministry.

My friend got me thinking... Sometimes we do want control and regulated systems to follow our gifts of money. Often when money comes from the organized system there is an expectation that you must stay within the parameters of the institution or system. Sometimes or many times those institutions try to keep God in a box and you know what I mean by the box of retrictions. God cannot be kept in our own box-He is bigger than that. Organic ministry will NEVER grow with restrictions and hoops. It is totally Holy Spirit led and Word of God driven/

We don't need money? In organic ministry we do not need buildings or paid full time staff members. We need people who will reproduce Jesus in the lives of others who will do the same. The Body of Christ ministers to each other and all are servants and are all responsible for each other as well as the lost in the community. That kind of Church needs little money to disciple other disciple-makers. I am aware of a church who raised nearly a million dollars last year and had NO new converts. They have lots of money, activities, a very nice building and they are well staffed. But no new converts! Blows my mind.

In organic ministry we do expect our Missionaries to the metro regions to work bi-vocationally and raise their own financial support to make up the needed difference.(I'm wrestling with this raising your own support thing in the organic setting - pray for me). It must be a total faith thing if you want an organic movement. Those days of fully funded Missionaries or Church Planters are over. (I hate the term church planter because we never plant churches -we make disciples who make disciples and God breathes life into new Churches). I'll say it again, only God plants or starts churches.

In fact, I'll step out on a limb and say, if a Missionary (or church planter -there's that term again)will not work a job in the community they will likely never impact their city. Working in a secular market is where we find hurting people who need the message we have to share. When I talk about message I am not referring to doctrine, I am referring to the Message of Christ. If we just stick to the Message and example of Christ we will have more material to share than we have days on this earth to share it. The Message of Jesus and His power is what transforms lives.

Would we have people who would relocate to our cities to do Organic Ministry if we do not given them full time support? I do beleive that God is calling men and women to trust him and obey him to become a part of what He is doing Organically around the world. Are you willing to lay it all on the line?

Is it true that organic ministry takes no money? We all know that traditional ministry takes lots of money for staff, equipment, buildings etc.

Here's where I am! In both Organic and Traditional settings we do need resources for recruiting, relocating and start up funding to assist the teams once they get in place so that they have time to get secular jobs and begin to raise additional support. (I'm wrestling with this too.) We will allow God to use Organic and Tradional ministry to impact America for eternity here in our large cities. Some people will never be reached without the traditional American system with buildings. On the other hand some will never be reached without the Organic ministry -a church without walls -a church that meets in homes or in restaurants or even Star Bucks.

While I am biased on what I think will be most effective in making disciples who make disciples there is much prayer that new churches whatever they are will all take responsibility "individually" person to person for making disciples who make disciples who continue to live for Jesus Christ. New ministry DNA must recognize the Supremacy of the Great Commission and the mandate for every beleiver to make disciples who make disciples. Established ministry needs to be awakened to this truth lest they die on the vine and be thrown into the fire.

Is this fair and balanced writing? Does Organic ministry need any money? Do we need start up funding? Does raising your own support negatively impact organic ministry?
Give me your thots...

6 Comments:

At July 05, 2006 9:53 AM, Blogger Bill said...

Bob,

I recently read a book by Wolfgang Simpson called "Houses That Changed The World" and in that books he talks about paid leadership.

He makes the case that the only example of paid ministers we find in the New Testament are apostles. He indicates that nowhere do we find in scripture an example of pastors (elders) being fully supported by the churches.

His contention is that today, those whom God has called into apostolic roles (church planting, overseeing multiple churches, pastoring pastors) should be paid full-time but local pastors should be willing to work in the marketplace.

He believes it would be ludicrous to expect an apostolic leader to work a full-time job and then give a few hours of left-over time to the work of raising up new congregations. But local elders should be in the marketplace because that is where they encounter the lost in real-life situations.

Not sure how far down that philosophical road I'm willing to travel with him, but I do agree that those who are called to overseeing multiple churches in an apostolic role should be paid to do that full-time.

 
At July 05, 2006 9:55 AM, Blogger Bill said...

Is your centurytel.net address valid? I need to ask you a question.

 
At July 05, 2006 12:25 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Bill, bcarder@centurytel.net YES!

 
At July 05, 2006 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The larger question is will you (and I) allow God to send potential leaders into the groups we are leading. Then will we disciple them, help them and then send them to do the same. Bob, I challange you to start a house church, to find two leaders and then to set them free next summer to do what they have watched you do. Send them with the mandate to do the same for 2 others. See what you have grown, 7 house churches in three years. If you accept the challange in St. Louis I will do the same in KC. Thats 14 house churches in 3 years on both sides of the state. You can stop recruiting all over the world. We, the native Missourians, can do mission without the "foreign" influence. There has to be some lost people in Kenntucky or in Indiana for them to reach, right?

Are you in?

 
At July 06, 2006 4:12 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Bill, you rascal you! You challenge my thinking everytime you write or speak to me or others. Of course I will take your challenge, but remember I am a transplant and the culture of St. Louis is tough to pop into -although I am popping into it pretty well.

A couple of things.

I will do the house Church and Michelle and I have been thinking and praying about it prior to your post. I am searching and praying for God to send me 2 foundational leaders who need Christ who have the potential of leading others to Christ. That's on my heart and your challenge confirms God's leading on this.

It's also true that we must build a home grown birthing organic ministry. However, God may have some leadership who are displaced and perhaps even being called to Kansas City or St. Louis. Since I have taken responsibility for reaching the nearly 5 million people in both cities now I must find people in and outside of these cities in and outsid eof my own denomination who will also take responsibility for these 5 million and making sure all have the opportunity to find or reject Jesus Christ as personal Savior.

Recently I have come across a young leader with incredible passion who both he and his wife are from St. Louis metro and God is calling them to move back and we are joining hearts in reaching the nearly 3 million in St. Louis metro area. It is a miracle how God connected us in the first place, but we do share a passion for the kingdom outside our man made hoops and hurdles.

One more thing, in addition I believe God is working in organic and intitutional or traditional settings. Some people will never go to Church as we know it and others will only go to Church as we know it. I'm for working wherever God is working. Now I have a bias as to where God is working more -but one soul here is better than no souls here if you get what I mean.

I'm off to accept God challenge and following His leadership. Please pray that God will connect me to the two people who need Him from whom God can create an organic New Testament Movement -right here and now.

 
At July 06, 2006 6:38 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

My last post was directed to Jim not Bill although both these guys expand my horizons when they write or speak.

Bill if you want to -enjoy the post as well.

Jim, pay very close attention to it.

I must be losing it from time to time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters