Thursday, August 10, 2006

Reflecting Deeply

As I was speaking with my very good friend Jim H from Kansas City on the phone yesterday when the Spirit of God spoke to me in a very exciting way. So if I get on a tangent -blame Jim.

While I am deeply dissatisfied (really at times disgusted) with American Church disciple-making ineffectiveness, I should not be seen as attacking her. I am just sad in my heart that while pastoring all those years I did not do a better job insisting that we make disciples who make disciples. I promoted "Come and Bring" instead of "Go and Share". Let's face it, more people, more so-called conversions to count, bigger buildings and larger offerings is not success in the kingdom. I am still grieving deeply.

You know the story of a man on his death bed who was asked, What what would you do differently if you had your life to live over again?

WHOH!! Here's what I wish I could do or not do if I had the chance to do it over. One biggie first! If I had my life to live over again, I would argue and promote less orthodoxy (my system of doctrinal positions) since I really don't know if I'm right-I won't know that until I get to heaven and then I won't care anyway.

If I had my life to live over again: I would focus less on building big multi-million dollar facilities... I would not put all that time and energy (most of it) toward the Sunday worship "Come & See" event... I would build primarily on what Jesus can do and less and less on what I can do... I would spend more time building relationships with lost people and less time with the already reached... I would preach less, teach (disciple) more and allow other beleivers to speak more about how God is working through them to change the world... I would not raise large budgets for our own operation -but I would encourage people to give tithes and offerings so together and individually we could give it away to impact our Jerusalem (city), our Samaria (differing ethnic groups), our Judea (American cities beyond ours), and the World (across American borders). I would do fewer programs for the reached. I would do more discipleship for the community on how to live ( finances, parenting, relationships and keeping life in balance)... I would lead a paradigm shift where the Church (the body of Christ) would meet in the community everyday with the reached and unreached (in homes, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, parks, work, small groups and larger groups)... I would eliminate membership requirements or committees or board members and elections... Discipling children and youth would be the responsibility of parents primarily... We would not own buildings... I choose to make the world different rather than make a difference in the world... I would continue under the umbrella of the Missionary Church because I value her and because she and I value life, community and world transformation. Together we are committed to Making Disciples & Multiplying Churches and we have freedom in how we choose (with God's leading) to do this.iven more and more latitude on how we will do this. This list is not exhaustive and as I grow subject to change.

Now that I said all of that. Let me now simplify and summarize all the above in one neat little package. If I had my life to live over again: I would "Go" into all the world (myself and through others) and "Make Disciples" and "Baptize them"and "Teach Them To Obey." This paragraph is what I would do, this and only this -If I had my life to live over again.


*When you see "I" it implies total reliance on God, like (I with God's help -I do realize I cannot do it on my own).

2 Comments:

At August 10, 2006 2:24 PM, Blogger Dr. Terry M. Goodwin said...

Bob,
Please do not long to live it over but rather long to live the rest of it better because of it. I see it as I see my own past prior to Christ. I have been saved from so much. My past could be a plague upon my life but Christ has set me free. I share my mistakes of my past freely with the message of repentance and a warning to those who are now doing what I did then. My past gives me instant credibility with the lost. Your past gives you instant credibility with the modern "churched". Use it - don't lament it, and I know you use it well.
Keep preaching it to us from your experience but not with regrets. Preach with freedom and a warning to all of us who are starting to do things differently. Be bold - we need boldness to shake us loose from the grip of the way things have always been for us. Jesus did not spare the feelings of the Pharisees. If it is truth then we must proclaim it. God has used you to set me free from traditions of men. I look forward to making many disciples with you in the future. I have started to ask a couple of questions to my “churched” friends. Is your small group ministry your most effective way to spread the Gospel and disciple believers? Answer is always – yes! Next question. Is your Sunday worship the most expensive and least effective ministry for reaching the lost and making disciples? Answer is always – yes! I’ll keep asking and let you know if that changes.
Consider this – if you had it to live over and made the changes you have claimed here – would your passion be as strong and would the timing have been right and would the disciples you have now been ready for the call? Mordecai’s words to Esther are ringing in my ears
“and who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for [such] a time as this”

 
At August 10, 2006 10:23 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Terry, this is way to cool, thank you so much...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters