Sunday, September 10, 2006

Is Sunday School the real answer?

Sunday School: I guess in her hayday she provided a good thing. But after years in the ministry as lead pastor I have watched (way to many) children raised in Sunday School then enter youth groups and enjoy fired up experiences that resulted in commitments without lasting results. With sadness I watched them graduate from High School and then go off to college and then who knows - I rarely saw them again. And when I did see them -some were way out there. A pattern? Are we looking into it?

"Oh we must get our kids in Sunday school!" Do you really mean that? Is that the real and only answer for your children?

When Sunday school was started it was used to teach orphaned children about Jesus. And when S.S. began - healthy families were much more involved in the discipleship of their children. That's not the way it is today!

How could we miss it sooo badly. Our kids don't need Sunday School as much as they need a mom and dad who care enough about them to invest in them every day. Every minute we share with our kids is a minute to disciple our children and show them the way to Jesus and to a life of character and commitment to Him.

How long will we wait? How long will we let some Sunday School teacher bear the burden of discipleing our children? What will it take for us to wake up and see that as parents we play the most important role.

Gerge Barna says that a child is set by age 13. Now think with me, at age 2 a child has 10 years of instruction. If as a parent I expect S.S. to (primarily) teach my children to obey (discipleship), then my child will have 510 hours or just over 21 days of instruction by the time he or she turns 13.

I know what you are thinking! Don't you just hate it when someone presumes to know what you're thinking? At least some of you are thinking, "I do teach and disciple my own kids!"

My Response: If parents would teach their own children with much more regularity and intentionality by the age of 13 our kids would be mor ready to follow Jesus in the presence of enormous peer pressure. And many more would not crumble as many are doing. If you have children at home -please do not leave it to the S.S. to adequately teach and disciple those prescious ones in your care. NOTICE: In those 510 hours of intruction in S.S. there are -poorly trained teachers, and people who are there to fill a space without a calling and how about the times we just played fun things and didn't teach a thing.

I know I am in trouble. Some have said, "We must have S.S. for our kids -that's what we need." OKAY - You may use it and it may be helpful and good - But your children need YOU to fill this critical role of getting them ready to face the world and stand for Jesus. They need YOU and not just another teacher one hour a week or just over 21 days by the time they turn 13.

A mother said, "I will disciple my children, that's what I should be doing anyway. " With consistency and intentionality it will save the life and soul of your precious children.

What have you to say?

6 Comments:

At September 11, 2006 1:53 AM, Blogger I-55 Games said...

You are preaching to the choir on this one! The question is... What does childrens ministry look like under this school of thought? Childrens ministry becomes parent discipleship. The next hurdle... teaching parents to train thier children to be enjoyable. It's not tough to train a child to be enjoyable, but it is tough to teach old dogs new tricks!

 
At September 11, 2006 5:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Planter said: "With sadness I watched them graduate from High School and then go off to college and then who knows - I rarely saw them again."

Perhaps they were out being missional and no longer needed your building as proof they were were true Christians.

The Planter said: "And when I did see them -some were way out there." Maybe, just maybe, they got it and you were the one who could not understand because they no longer desired to play church?

 
At September 11, 2006 3:49 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Anonymous - I know these young people and they were not doing what I prayed so long for them to do and mostly be.

I wasn't judging them -I was just watching their fruit or in this case for many the lack of!

A few, but very few were out their doing it - they had parents who were involved in the discipleship process of their kids.

Anyway, I make the point worth considering and not blowing over. As parents we can and should do better. If I could live my life over...I would do so many things differently. My kids are grown and they love Jesus but I would still do things differently.

This blog is presented in hopes that we can redeem some children while their is time.

So Anonymous you are part right and part wrong. I want us all to be right when it comes to our children.

I never wanted them to need the building - I was hopeful they had caught Jesus and were staying with him.

Anonymous - Are you messing with me?
:) If so, I love it.

 
At September 11, 2006 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Planter said: Anonymous - Are you messing with me?

Planter you catch on quick....I enjoy the blog sometimes, think you are a crack pot sometimes and think all the time....

 
At September 12, 2006 9:42 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Anonymous,

I am certainly a cracked pot broken in a world of saddness as the Church in America forgets the lost, unreached, disconnected and unconnecting from them.

I long for a movement of other cracked pots who care enough to join with God in new movement of disciplemaking where lives are changed and mobilized to help others to find the Jesus transformation themselves.

 
At September 15, 2006 2:19 PM, Blogger Bill said...

It's okay Bob, I'm another cracked pot leaking all over the place. Hopefully, what I am leaking is the love and mercy of Christ all over a hurting world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters