Sunday, September 10, 2006

A Scenario...That Should Move Us Out...

I was thinking about a church I pastored. In a seven year period we raised $7,500,000 in offerings and special building fund income. Sounds tremendous to most, but to me I am grieved in my heart. I should be grieved I was part of this.

What saddens my heart is this. If this church had 50 converts a year for the last 20 years we could say we reached 1,000 people. (That is a liberal number because we had the largest conversions in that 20 year period with just over 60 a year on a good year, at over 10% of our total attendees.. If the church had 1,000 new converts in 20 years at 50 a year, the cost of making disciples per new convert was $7,500.

But there's more to consider, some of the 50 people won to Christ each year were rededications of people who relocated themselves to our church. But there's more, I only used the financials from 7 of the twenty years - what would happen to our cost per disciple if it included our full 20 years of income? And, in these twenty years we had two major building campaigns.

We see here that we need to make more disciples than we have. It doesn't need to cost that much to make disciples of hungry searching people. Was this Church an unusual phenomena of poor stewardship? I wish she was, but the truth is, she is not alone.

What do we need to do in order to be better stewards? Or are you satisfied with these stats?

2 Comments:

At September 11, 2006 5:55 AM, Blogger Dr. Terry M. Goodwin said...

I see a similar problem with short term missions. Every time I try to talk about this I get shot at by those who love these trips. Some in my own family have been on these trips. I am just asking us to consider the cost. My daughter went to Mexico for a week with her youth group. About 25 kids and adults built two 1-room houses for people in need. A noble cause. Total cost of about $25,000.00 for the free volunteer labor. Consider this! With an average wage of about $1.70 per hour (most recent I could find) This one trip could have employed 7 full time Mexican workers for a year. How many houses could have been built? Would this have brought seven more families out of poverty because of full time work? With this scenario repeating itself throughout American churches every week, could we redirect our spending and really make a much bigger difference? The old saying comes to mind - Give me a fish I eat for a day, teach me to fish I eat for a lifetime.

 
At September 11, 2006 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terry: On the nose. I agree with you. I would love to do a short-term mission trip because: A) I like to travel. B) It would make me think I was doing something real for God (and I would be). C) I could then feel like I had "done" my bit.

But as you know, those are all false. Well, it's true I love to travel, but...

Do STM trips bring attention to the work of the full time missionary? Maybe, but I suspect that many of these STM trips are actually more work for the missionary than help.

I've never been to "the field" (defined as "over there") :) but I've heard tell about a lot of SMTs that produced WOW results in the lives of those who went for about a week -- then all was back as it was.

Thoughts to think on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters