Thursday, October 12, 2006

How Can We?

How Can We? How Can We - Plant Churches the same way we always have -when the way we plant churches always leads to a consumerism that results in the same results we have today? It's true that we are teaching church planters to do the very thing we are trying to change in the American Church! I know I have personally been there. Don't tell me how to launch a public worship service when at the same time you tell me outreach will stop as soon as I do.

Here's what I see: Let's get a team of people -let's make sure that we get something from them and then let's plan an event so we can have more people who pay the bills and (our salary) so we can be self-sustaining in the very thing that is not working in America! I call this budgets, buildings and more and more people. And then I could talk about the competition and the show -you know the one with the best show wins. I would say the one with the best show loses in the end before God.

Let me introduce you to Lunacy! The Webster dictionary defines lunacy as: "Doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different result." Well duh!

We say we want to create a disciple making or missional movement in America but then we also encourage doing the training that gives the same while expecting different results. I insist with great ramifications personally - that we don't need to be trained how to do what is not working. We need to be trained to do ministry the way Jesus tells us to do it.

Why not create a disciple multiplying movement that cannot be stopped? That's what happens when we really follow the Great Commission with supremacy. That's what happens when Christ followers actually follow the Great Commission with supremacy.

Why can't we give up control and let God do His thing through us? Why do we need man's methodology (which may produce more churches -but I question the real production of disciples who also make disciples) for planting Churches when God is looking for obedience and the simple followership of the Holy Spirit's leading.

I am sick and tired of our systems and methods that have led us astray for way too many years. Let's teach Church planters (should be called disciple-multipliers) that we are to be disciple multipliers who actually lead other disciple multipliers who do the same. And let me remind you it is not our job to plant churches - it is our job to reproduce disciples who reproduce others and if God wishes - let's let Him build His Church!

What we are teaching young church planters is lunacy! We teach the same thing over and over and we expect different results in America. Call me crazy - fire me- kill me! If we want Missional we better show and teach people how to be missional. If you really want missional -See Jesus and His manual -He shows us how to do it and it is very very clear.

I think it's time that we stand up and do what's right instead of teaching what is politically correct. For those who think they are teaching what is right show me in your past where disciples (every disciple) are making disciples who make disciples. I know what my ministry looked like and it didn't look like that -I was politically correct and while we won some-the church still didn't have ownership of making disciples themselves -it was consumerism and self-centered to say the least. So I do know what I am talking about! Argue if you wish -but I still know what I am talking about and most of all I understand what Jesus said.

I guess what makes this fun is the fact that I do not have to survive. I just need to obey Jesus! And that I will do and as I do - Jesus will prove to the world that His way is far more superior to man's way.

This might get a response -we'll just have to see. I must tell you I am not overly optimistic here!

3 Comments:

At October 12, 2006 1:43 AM, Blogger Missional Jerry said...

*stands and claps*

 
At October 12, 2006 10:14 AM, Blogger Curt said...

I am encouraged by the fact that I believe more and more Christ followers are waking up to this calling and reality. At times I wonder if we're all alone...and then I'm reminded of Elijah and his struggle of feeling all alone as recorded in 1 Kings 19. His response becomes one of our own..."I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me too." But the Lord doesn't let him stay there. God tells him to get up and go because there are 7 thousand others who have not gone the wrong way. I sense that God may be telling us the same thing. I sense He may be saying take comfort in the reality that there are those out there who are making disciples who make disciples...take comfort in the reality that there are others out there who are finding escape from the consumerist mentality of Westernized church. Our Lord said to Peter in John 21...when Peter was worried about someone else..."What is that to you? You must follow me." I am encouraged that God has a specific path for me...and all of us burdened by this...to walk of making disciples that make disciples. Few may actually be about this calling and mission...but I know that God has blessed me with a few others...maybe even thousands of others that I don't know about...that feel strongly about this calling. Thanks for being one of them...and may we take seriously the words of Jesus as He says, "What is that to you? You must follow me." Blessings to each of my brothers and sisters that are about making disciples who make disciples. Let's follow Him together!

 
At October 16, 2006 3:25 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Thanks Curt -you are more than a blessing and a rare disciple multiplier in America. Rare because we have few committed to this God breathed revolution.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters