Friday, December 22, 2006

I come across...!

Since several want to know who I really am - and since I often come across so strongly and "right" let me share some insights into.....

After serving as pastor for over 24 years I have learned and experienced some things that have caused me to re-examine why the church is losing ground in America. What I discovered has shaken me to my core. With the opportunity and blessing of the church I serve, we are trying something new. It's not a house church, it is not a present institutional model, it does not make going to church more important the being the church, it refused "let believers off the hook" to to hide in the church and instead all are expected and taught to move beyond "Becoming authentic Christ followers" to "Becoming authentic Christ following incarnational disciple multipliers."

*I'm not as arrogant as I sound.
*I am passionate about the manifold purpose of God throughout Scripture to "be fruitful and multiply" as culminated in the Great Commission to do the same in a spiritual sense.
*I believe with passion what I am saying about being fruitful and multiply as everyone's supreme and personal command is biblically clear regardless of your denominational affiliation.
*I love communion, songs, giving, teaching of the word, giving praise to God, worshipping Him.
*I grieve over the fact that "going to church" has largely replaced "being the incarnational Church in the world.
*I am committed to seeing a movement of disciple-making and incarnational transformation sweep America in an "out of control" movement of God as led by His Spirit.
*I don't like cool-aide.
*I do confront, I do challenge, I do rock the boat, I am serious, I always think I am right (though, I admit I'm not always.) Boy, I hate to admit that. :)
*I know thatBlogs are like email, you don't always get a clear picture of heart and love and motivations. I know there is always room for personal inflections.
*I don't care if people disagree with me, but I wish all would post comments either way.
*I'm not very tactful.
*I know that it seems like a "me and you" in my writing. That is meant not to condemn but to stir status quo and cause people to think beyond the barriers, box, methods, and present way of doing church to incarnational "Jesus" transformation in the lives of all outside of the Christ family. It's really us - we are the leaders - these are strategic days, there is hope for renewed vigor in the mission we are called to.
*I am challenging the church to become the Church. And, I am not talking about outreach programs designed by church leaders, but rather, each of us being led by the Holy Spirit and letting Him work through us to impact lives personally in the world
*I'm not asking, nor can we throw the church away, we are the family of God, we do what we've always done - I taught people to do this my entire life. Now I am trusting God for a movement that makes the ownership of disciple multiplication everyone's passion and responsibility. I dream of the day when all will make disciples who also do the same by using their gifting and passions out in the world as God leads. The church in America will have to decide if it is going to move into the world as individual Christ followers rather than just doing approved ministries of the church.

I wish I could meet with all of you face to face to love you as members of the Christ family.

Jesus does want to do more, He always has. Scroll down for a post on God's Manifold Purpose.

Now let's push for a movement that doesn't focus on the subtle but limiting "3 priorities" of the church or in far too many churches in America. Let's move from Buildings, Budgets, and Butts to the priority of being the Church and living incarnationally "by being fruitful and multiplying" in the world as the main thing.

Please consider:
1. Pushing the church out in the world.
2. Not babying people by making it easy for them "to not" live personally the "Great Commission" purposes.
3. Trying something "new" and exciting or is it "old" and exciting.

Are you really satisfied with our declining church in America? I could say more, but I was so good in this post I don't want to ruin it for anyone.

I just have my sights on something we have never seen predominant in America.

3 Comments:

At December 27, 2006 12:21 AM, Blogger spamthewunderdog said...

Hey Bob,

Thanks for posting a response to this question.

What is funny is, again, I agree with what you are saying and what you are standing on...but the way you have said things, just sort of gives me the sense that you feel like you had an epiphiny and now you have things figured out, and that anyone who is on the other side of what you have figured out, well they are just wrong.

Again, I understand what you are saying...and I agree with it...but for me, sometimes I am afraid to discuss things with you because I am not sure that you have ears to hear me.

 
At December 27, 2006 4:05 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Spam - I appreciate you kind words and I'm thankful we are standing on the hill together.

I have had a transformation in the way I see God's reason for leaving us here. I am passionate because time is running out for America. We have already seen what happened in Europe (with how they did church which is our model for church) and in less than 20 years you don't even want to know how many churches will close as they become culturally irrelevant.

SPAM, be courageous my friend. I am hearing but if you think I'm not I will ask more questions before firing away.

We don't have everything figured out because this is unchartered territory in America. God is leading and we have to wait and let Him create a movement of missional transformation. However, our St. Louis experiment is proving that what we are saying is working in American -with missional incarnational disciple making.

If we can see Christianity outside of western influence - methods - institutions - way of doing church then we can then begin to see and hear with new eyes and ears.

For 24 years I did ministry wrong. I did what (PASTORS) always did in the church with some variations in styles and mission. What I used to view as success (buildings, budgets, and butts) I now view as failure to equip the saints for the work of God. We did great inside the church but failed on the outside. I was part of the problem and I repent of that.

You keep firing away. But remember, I love pulling chains, firing triggers, and hanging out on a limb. We must act while there is time or suffer even more spiritual decline. We are on life support.

Great words - keep it up.

 
At December 28, 2006 11:21 AM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Spam, thanks for hanging on the cliff edge with me. Guys like you are few and far between.

We are learning together - what a ride.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters