Sunday, February 11, 2007

Living Incarnationally

What does that mean?

Alan Hirsch says (Sorry, I cannot leave his work yet) "The incarnation not only qualifies God's acts in the world, but must also qualifies ours. If God 's central way of reaching His world was to incarnate Himself in Jesus, then our way of reaching the world should likewise be incarnational. To act incarnationally therefore will mean in part that in our mission to those outside of the faith we will need to exercise a genuine identification and affinity with those we are trying to reach..."

The Planter says. How can we do this when we think going to a church service or attending a Bible study is the way of fulfilling what Christ expects of us? Where did we ever learn and how did we ever come to believe that attending events to meet our spiritual needs is also the fulfillment of the demands of Christ upon us? Jesus said, we are to deny ourselves and take up our cross and follow Him. Does what we do really represent reaching beyond ourselves with a spiritual journey that mostly satisfies our own needs? Where is the cross and where is the denial?

Alan Hirsch writes, "Incarnational ministry means taking the Church to the people, rather than bringing people to the church." Or, I'd rather challenge that it is time to quit just doing church and start being the Church. Think about it, look at all of the energy, money, time, and resources (just to name a few) that are used for us and not for the unreached. What does God think? How will we be judged? We cover it up very well, but church is mostly for us.

I know this is stirring and I also know we make all the excuses in the world, but in reality what are we really doing with the sole priority of reaching beyond ourselves, needs and wants in order to reach those with needs and wants. How will we reach those who do not know Jesus but long for Him?

Is living incarnationally a priority of yours? If it is, does your life reflect that priority? If not, then perhaps you really don't own it.

Just wonderin.....

7 Comments:

At February 12, 2007 4:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you questioned Alan Hirsch as to whether he practises what he preaches?

I suspect not.

 
At February 12, 2007 11:53 AM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

I have an assumption that he does. However, if you follow my blog link to Alan Hirsch's site you may have the opportunity to address that very question. Or do you already know for sure?

I do know his church in Australia made these changes but I do not know to what extent.

Great question! Now, do you want to know if I do? Actually that is the reason I am doing this incarnational and purposed disciple making thing instead of pastoring an established church. If I now pastored in the "Come and See" or "Attraction" entrenched and "Consumer driven" American church it would all break lose. Talk about massive fallout or kick out! Precisely why I choose not to be there.

I long to see a Church that gathers to go rather than goes to gather. I long for a Church that refuses to do church at the great expense of Being the Church! I long to see a Church that makes disciples as all Christ followers make disciples who do the same.

Let's invades all the secular places we can find and please, please, please - sit in the smoking section and listen to and join in with the laughter of those having a drink! When we do this - we bring Jesus into places we have refused to take Him before. Jesus modeled it -we are too worried about staying smoke free.

 
At February 12, 2007 5:37 PM, Blogger Carl said...

Bob, I have got to say that while there may be alot of truth in this book, or thin mans thinking, I visited his website today for the first time... I felt like I had entered the realm of real marketing genius... and I felt that the whole point of his website was to "sell" his "product". I mean come on, a missional fitness test, a spiritual gifts test(of sorts)... a online forgotten ways training course to the tune of $850.00 for three months. sheeeeeze!!!

I am sorry but this is all wrong in my opinion. I felt like this was another of those "church growth hormones" so many are addicted to. simply another way to do it better.

Man I am sorry Bob didnt mean to rain on your blog but I was sorly dissapointed. But I wish I could get people to my blog like he gets to his :)

 
At February 12, 2007 8:54 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Carl, I can only say that I like Alan's book, "The Forgotten Ways" and I enjoy the discussion related to the book.

As for the training and missional fitness tests and online training, I sneeze and scheeeze with you! I'm not personally interested, we can offer training in making disciples who make disciples who lead to God birthed Churches for free! We are working on some online training/discussion that could help many many people who want to be part of a discipling movement! Pastor Terry of True Vine is working on providing this resource for those who want to make a difference and again this will be something we can give to those who are serious.

I do think you make some very good points worthy of further discussion. I agree that the training is steep and I do not like that sort of thing either. Alan is a great writer and thinker and does move in the direction of what I feel needs (in part) to happen in America and other places.

You are not raining on my blog - Alan is the one who is getting rained on. I still encourage you to at least check out the reviews the guy in the UK is doing on Alan's book, that is free!

I also hate marketing and church growth hormonal nonsense. It's still all about Jesus and following His very clear plan for all of us.
Making disciples who make disciples the main thing isn't really that complicated!

Again check out a previous post for the link to our friend in the UK doing the book reviews!

Great thoughts! In a few weeks we need to do supper in KC, I'll call you to schedule it.

 
At February 12, 2007 8:58 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Carl, it's Paul Walker at
http://outofthecocoon.squarespace.com/

He does a pretty good job in reviewing Alan's latest book.

Also, we may never achieve the blogging status of Alan so we'll just have to hunker down and enjoy what we have, that is, if we have.

Remember when I mention a site or something, that doesn't mean I endorse anything or everything etc.

But you already knew that, didn;t you?

 
At February 13, 2007 4:19 PM, Blogger Carl said...

yes I did

 
At April 04, 2008 1:00 AM, Blogger j.q. said...

What's one thing the enemy could do to thwart God's attempt to get people to again live as Christ lived, and to reach people how Christ did? Get us to focus on money.

Should Alan give his book away too?

I don't even know the guy (I don't know any of you). I found this blog by trying to find the definition of incarnation and I am blown away that someone went to this Alan guy's site and immediately dismissed his work when his work all seems to point to bringing folks to Christ. The fact that he trains and charges for training should not be the basis of his credibility. Credibility should be based how his book and ideas align with Christ's words in the New Testament.

Bob, I appreciate you speaking wisdom when you say that questions about Alan should be directed to him. I am sure Alan would engage in a healthy conversation with anyone. It's easy to have debate when the one in question isn't in the room.

Is this all "marketing"? Who cares if it is? Is God going to sit back and watch the enemy pluck people off one by one or is he going to create new ways of bringing the lost to Him. I'm just sayin'. God's got to be pretty smart. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters