Tuesday, August 14, 2007

My nurse...

My nurse came to draw my blood this evening for the infectious disease doctor. She asked me what I did for a living. I told her I was a missionary serving God to establish disciple making movements in the greater St. Louis area. She asked me how large my church was. I told her we were not trying to build large buildings to house large numbers of people nor were we trying to build large congregations. I told her we were trusting God for clusters of smaller churches who make disciples making disciples the main thing. She was not impressed.

She was quick to move on. She told me how great her church was, how wonderful her pastor was, how great their follow up is and how they are exploding in growth.

I was saddened, that while she drew my blood she was unable to focus on the one who shed all of His blood for our redemption. All she could see was her church, her pastor and how well they were growing. Jesus was not in her story...

The one who came to draw my blood was unable to talk about the one who gave all His blood for all of us. Why? Her pastor and her go to church on Sunday was much more important. What is wrong here? What is wrong with me? I am no longer satisfied with what satisfied my nurse. I long for so much more.

5 Comments:

At August 14, 2007 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe the challenge for you is to figure out what is so appealing (to your nurse) about the church she goes to. Is it all nonsense at worst/2nd rate at best...OR, is her experience with the 'institutional church' simply different than yours (and much more positive)? Or is she just yet to see the light?

 
At August 15, 2007 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bob. From what you wrote, it seems as if you both talked about your preference in strategies for making disciples. Just because she talked about her church doesn't mean she can't focus on Jesus any more than your talking about small groups doesn't mean you don't focus on Jesus.

Or am I missing something?

 
At August 15, 2007 11:31 AM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

My point gentlemen is that she never talked about Jesus. She ranted about how her church is growing and how wonderful her pastor is. She never spoke of Jesus.

This is a common problem for believers. We leave church and talk about the service/music/pastor in positive light but miss the one we came to worship -JESUS GETS LEFT OUT. That was the point of the blog post.

 
At August 15, 2007 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know my comment might be a little late, but the problem is that we forget that people serve a king, or belong to a kingdom. They will always say that their church is doing it right, or that they enjoy their church. Read what Samuel told Israel the king will do to them, compare that to church as we know it, and you will find that there is no difference. You can find it in 1 Samuel 8: 11-18. So it doesn't matter if it is a large mega church or a small group church, people still serve under a king and will always fight for their existence.

 
At August 16, 2007 12:34 AM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Great wisdom, Lourens, my friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters