Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Let's praise God while reconsidering...

I'm praising God for all He is doing in the world and through the Body of Christ. Even in the worst of situations we can find God showing up in mysterious ways. While we praise God for His ability to work His glory everywhere we should also review our personal walk with Jesus and the way we obey Him and serve His mission.

We need to be careful to separate out God's work from man's work. Sometimes with good intentions we drive the ship with our dreams and ideas regarding how we engage the mission of Christ. Sometimes those new approaches have led us astray. John Maxwell used to say and I've heard him personally say it, "If we always do what we've always done, we'll always get what we've always gotten."

While God works in spite of ourselves -- you need to fasten your seatbelt for a staggering admission by Bill Hybel's in a Bob Burney article in the Christian World Review Network. When you hit the article just scroll down for "Seeker Sensitive Church Leader Admits..."

Check out this article!

3 Comments:

At November 01, 2007 5:03 AM, Blogger Michael Ehret said...

Wow, that's really quite something. I consider it a very good sign that he's willing to admit it was a mistake. That's a huge public statement and I'm glad he had the courage to make it.

 
At November 03, 2007 5:47 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

What do you think about what Bill H was confessing?

 
At November 03, 2007 8:05 PM, Blogger Michael Ehret said...

Without having (yet) read the book, I hate to comment, but I will say that I have never been a big fan of the mega church model. Certainly there are parts of it I like (the quality of the music, for instance, is usually tops...) but I was alwasy concerned with assimilation and discipleship in that model. Way too easy to attend and not be accountable.

What will happen now is one of my big questions. If you remember an old post of yours that linked to a post from, I believe, Terry's daughter, about Willow Creek and maturity? On that post I asked about whether the results were self-reported or whether Willow had a true scientific study done...it seems I was righ with my concern. The results WERE self-reported. So, in oher words, I would be the one saying whether I thought I was a mature Christian or not. As you know, we are rarely the best ones to comment on ourselves. So the study has, in my opinion, some flaws. But, that certainly doesn't necessarily negate all of the findings. And if you look at the study through that filter, it could look even worse.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters