Wednesday, June 04, 2008

This article says it all...

Anthony Marks is a leader of leaders and while I was catching up on his blog articles I came across this post. Anthony is not the only one accused of hating the Church. Put me in the same category and I must say that accusation hurts deeply more deeply than any accusation ever could. I'm with Anthony, I speak what I do because I love the Church, but I have found that many of her leaders have become to defensive to see beyond the surface.

Here the post I'm talking about by Anthony Marks

on "hating" the church


I have been accused of hating the church.

My discipler has been accused of hating the church.

My disciple has been accused of hating the church.

This is an accusation that stings. I live and breathe for the health of the church. I wake up every morning and go to bed at night with the church on my mind. I celebrate when the church is victorious and ache when the church is sick.

Unfortunately, in general, the American church is sick.

My discipler drew up this analogy -- a man who loves his wife very much is confronted with a situation: she wants to wear a hideous, revealing dress to a wedding. He knows that she will be embarrassed by the stares of the congregation. He knows that when dressed appropriately, his wife will be the most attractive woman in the room. He knows that even if she wears that dress despite his best efforts, he will walk alongside her the entire way. He will do all of this because he loves her.

Should this love not compel him to warn and protect her?

I love the church, but I often despise what it is wearing. The church is the representation of Christ, the body of believers that desire to serve the Father. However, today's church is clothed in a hideous, revealing dress. This blessed facility that was purposed to make known the "manifold wisdom of God" (Ephesians 3), spends it's time, energy, and resources trying to impress the world. We use worship bands, multimedia demonstrations, children's programs, dietary plans, etc. to accomplish the work of the Holy Spirit. And what I desire to proclaim is this: the church is beautiful not because of what it wears, but rather because of what it is.

Would we notice on any given Sunday whether or not the Spirit of God was present? Is our "show" so streamlined that we can accomplish it out of our own strength? What would happen if we listened and responded to his move? Would we be willing to get out and serve our community on a Sunday morning? Would we be willing to worship past lunchtime? Would we allow the revelation of the Word to supercede the trained skills of its presenter?

I love the church. I love it so much, I'm pleading for it to go back and change.

Check out other articles

The Planter: What do you think about this one?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters