Saturday, June 03, 2006

Would Someone Prove It To Me?

Today I continue to struggle with this whole issue of making disciples who in turn make disciples who make disciples in the established C(c)hurch in American. Recently, I was speaking with a new friend from Africa who married one of the girl's in one of my former Churches in Indiana. It didn't take me long as we shared lunch together to get a glimpse into this guys heart for making disciples. As I sat across the table I listened intently as he talked about the many Churches being started daily in Afraica homes, in fields and in other places across the continent of Africa. The expectation for every new Christian to make other disciples was clear and they are actually doing it, just like Jesus tells us to.

This couple, now living in Portland is struggling to find a Great Commission Church while here, because as you know what they are used to is not in the American Christian DNA. (Unless our Missionaries have corrupted them with our Amercian version of Christianity.) What they are used to looks more like the New Testament Church as recorded in the Book of Acts. In American, as you already know, we would rather plan a "come and see" event and hope some people come to Christ. We would rather have nice elagant facilities. We would rather have educated seminary trained leaders. Here, we lead people to Jesus then put them in a 2 year class on discipleship long enough for them to lose their passion for reaching lost people so they act and look like the rest of us pew sitters. Not so in Africa, they expect and allow all people to lead all other people to Jesus. No college degrees, no seminary education, no full time salaries, no nice buildings. Just the Gospel message of redemption and the Holy Spirit leading them. The end result; Thousands of new Christ-followers making more Christ-followers.

Then in closing my friend asked, "Do you think I should go to seminary while here in America? My answer: An emphatic "NO". "No, do not let Americanized Christianity steal away your passion or heart in exchange for Church systems, programs, credentialing requirements and hoops for American Christianity." Then I said, "Seminary may every well undo every right thing you were taught by the Holy Spirit to do in a New Testament way."

If you do not believe me, look across the America and find me disciples who are making disciples in the American Church.

Is anyone out there in blog-land making disciples who are also making disciples? Give me the full story right here if you have one.

Can someone show me where this is happening in America? Please? Can I be proven wrong?

1 Comments:

At June 07, 2006 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob, Contact Bethany World Prayer Center, 13855 Plank Road, Baker, LA 70714. (225) 774-1700, or www.Bethany.com.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters