Sunday, August 13, 2006

How Was church & Church today?

Notice little "c" church and big "C" Church! In earlier posts I have spoken of little "c" and big "C" but not one speaks to it as well as Greg Getz at www.simplymissional.blogspot.com. After reading his post I was spurred to address it from my point of view. So Greg Getz has motivated me with this excellent and challenging article. This is a must read and don't forget to post your comments.

Here's my take on the "c" & "C" in (Cchurch). Little church equals an event or place where believers and guests meet together, usually has teaching/preaching & worship.

Big Church equals born again people changing the world the way Jesus did with intentional reaches to those who did not know him personally while supporting each other.

How was little church and big Church today?

I asked my neighbor: "How was church today? Were any lives changed or transformed? He said no! Then he said there are never lives changed or transformed." I asked, " What happens in church?" He said, "People are supported!"

For all of you: How was big Church today? What did you do to "go" into the world to build relationships and impact lives for eternity. I would rather give up my blessing and tell you what happened to me today. I 'd rather give up my reward in heaven to help you see and really get this principle. This afternoon I decided to do an act of kindness in Jesus name. I burned two huge piles of brush my neighbor has been wanting to get rid of (trees and limbs), since he is cleaning out his woods like I have. It was about a three hour job with a roaring fire. He hasn't seen it yet.

The big Church of Jesus Christ is a loving, supporting and a world changing Church. It is not just a place in a building for support of ourselves (it can include this but not at the expense of the other). We the big Church are NOT called to make a difference in the world -we are called to make the world different. Let the little church become the big Church in the world that supports each other and allows the Holy Spirit to flow through us in transformational ways to those who do not know Jesus personally.

If every authentic Christ follower in America would become (lost -relational) and (service - oriented and committed to discipleship) to and with others in and outside the (little church) we would see America changed by God through big Church (that would be us).

Oh boy!

2 Comments:

At August 14, 2006 2:53 PM, Blogger Greg Getz said...

Bob, thanks for keeping this BIG C concept alive! Maybe I'm a full bubble off, but I view the role of the church not as changing the world, but preparing people to leave it. My view of God says He has moved on to a new heaven and a new earth and is not interested in fixing this one. His strategy is to take as many people as are willing to join Him to his New Creation.

I approach this with a mindset not as a warrior or political activist ("We want to take this city/county/nation/world for Christ...") nor as a change agen ("We want to make this a better place for our selves/children/future generations..."), but as a sojourner...one passing through to a destination beyond the galaxy.

I probably need to get off my soapbox, but this shift in thinking (change agents vs. sojourners) is reflected in much of todays contemporary Christian music. It used to be that a good chunk of Christian music (hymns, etc) dealt with themes of heaven, leaving this world, the struggles of life and the glory of the afterlife, and going home. Nowadays it seems to reflect more of a motivation to fix what God has already marked for demolition.

End of rant. Keep up the good work. You do a great job of keeping the blog moving. I should learn from you.

 
At August 15, 2006 1:06 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Greg: I agree with but understand that when I refer t changing the world I refer to changing people do they are in fact preparing people to leave it.

My soapbox has to do with creating a Church that accepts the supremacy of the Great Commision and really does make disciples who make disciples and it is more than a church service once a week.

Lets make disciples who also make disciples who are encouraged to lead someone to Jesus within 2 monthes of their acceptance of Christ. We must not let the fire of trasformation grow cold in their hearts by learning (by the church) to sit instead of go.

The little "c"hurch is moarked for demolition. And the big "C"hurch is marked for a great harvest of disciples who are being made ready for that tremendous homegoing with Jesus forever.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, brother.

Excellent response brother G

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters