Friday, October 20, 2006

Missional Church is our only Hope!

Frost and Hirsh in "The Shaping of Things to Come" continue...

The heart of the problem is church planting movements is, "that we have small carbon copies of the already beleagured, failing, Christendom -style church. The Christendom virus is passed on. It's like Dr. Evil, in Mike Myers' rediculous Austin Powers movies, creating a clone called Mini-Me. By duplicating a failing system, we are digging the same hole deeper in our attempt to dig somewhere else. It is more often than not that Sunday services are planted and not missional Jesus communities.

Mission is not merely an activity of the church. It is the very heartbeat and the work of God. It is in the very being of God that the basis for the missionay enterprise is found. God is a sending God, with the desire to see humankind and creation reconciled, redeemed, and healed. The missional church, then, is a sent church. It is a going church, a movement of God through His people, sent to bring healing to a broken world. ...The existing church which is invariably static, rooted in one place, institutionalized, needs to rediscover its sent-ness in order to become the missional church."

10 Comments:

At October 20, 2006 12:48 PM, Blogger Missional Jerry said...

I absolutely agree

 
At October 20, 2006 3:37 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

M.J. How can we help others see this? I find that many many pastors join with Christendom-methods and refuse to let them go for God to bring us back to what worked when He walked this earth back to what has always worked and will always work!

The Great Commission is a key that unlocks the parables and the life of Jesus and the miracles in a fresh way I have never seen before.

 
At October 20, 2006 5:32 PM, Blogger Curt said...

Very true...however...Mini-Me? I don't know...at times I think it's more like Fat Bastard. Sorry...I couldn't resist.

 
At October 20, 2006 8:44 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Curt - I'm smiling and you don't need to say sorry. I just wish I would have thought F.B. first.

 
At October 26, 2006 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the risk of being Mr. Obvious, I thought Christ was our only hope?

OK, today I AM grumpy...a little. It's rainy, grey, and cold.

And election season...

 
At October 26, 2006 11:50 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Christ is the MISSION....

In the beginning was the Word and the Word is God and (my words) the WORD is meant to be obeyed, lived and followed.

Now let's talk about the obvious!

Are you biloviating?

I just got home from being gone Sunday and Monday then Wednesday and Thursday and then I leave Sat-Wednesday. I am grouchy so you don't want to mess with me!

I have an attitude too! So I am mean and ornery and I said a swear word today! I might say another one if you mess with me. :)

I don't like truck drivers either! They hog the passing lane and slow me down and cause road rage in people. In people but never, never, ever in me.

Don't mess with me...When I say this is the ONLY HOPE I mean ONLY HOPE!

Shape up boy!!!

 
At October 27, 2006 7:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, see, I'm going to assume you meant "bilobiating," some kind of odd word construction that means being double-minded...

Butt.

 
At October 27, 2006 11:43 AM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Mike, let's write a book on the State of the American Church. Just take my thoughts and do everything you can to assemble my thoughts which will have to be totally owned by you in order to keep you from bilobiating.

Are you in?

 
At November 01, 2006 6:08 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Okay guys.

Your vocabulary just surpassed my grade level. :-)

 
At November 01, 2006 11:33 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Bill - I'm with you! Actually I'm not really...I used words I cannot define or spell and Mike E. always cleans it up for me. I love having Mike around as my check and balance.

Mike - I just gave you a compliment -the second one this week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters