Thursday, February 15, 2007

Did God Win the Super Bowl?

I would like some discussion on this one. I have some friends who think that God helped the Colts over the Bears win the Super Bowl. If that is true, did God win the Super Bowl? Do you guys think God intervenes by helping one team win over the other?

My friend Carol (of course a Hoosier) speaks out,

"The team prays after every game and before every game. This is a team that puts God first. As you can see in the picture the trophy has been placed almost out of sight during prayer. (Scroll for the picture)

You should have heard the Saturday morning Super Bowl Prayer Breakfast. Amazing in that coach gave an outstanding sermon and then gave an invitation to all. How powerful is that!!??

This is a team who has a weekly Bible study.

God rewarded this team because they remained faithful in letting God work in his own timing.

How can one not believe God was not with them in the final game?

The power of the Holy Spirit is so evident when hearing the coach and players speak. It's real--not fake. One can't fake what one feels when seeing and hearing from them.

Just my two cents worth..."

The Planter returns: I know God works miracles and I know the Holy Spirit was all over the Colts, but does that mean with certainty that God's Holy Spirit wasn't all over some of the Bear players. Does God help a team win? Some think He actually made the Colts win.

Does anyone have their two-cents to throw in?


9 Comments:

At February 15, 2007 4:56 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

I must repent, I baited her for an email response! Now you have it!

My dear friend Carol, now you must respond to the comments as they come in. If you really believe with conviction then you must respond with conviction.

I'm still a problem child! Some people never change, do they?

 
At February 15, 2007 7:03 PM, Blogger ChadPeterson said...

I don't know. Dennis Rodman has 5 rings, so that theory might be moot.

The colts won because they were the better team.

 
At February 16, 2007 7:26 AM, Blogger gltnforpnshmnt said...

I feel as if God intervenes a lot less often than many people think...instead he depends on his people to do his work. 'How can they hear if no one preaches?'

At the same time, let's not doubt that God COULD make one team win the super bowl.

Also, while it should be obvious to all who read this that Indiana is America's Promised Land, I think you're taking this way too seriously, Bob. I don't think too many people really think God helped the Colts win...but we do appreciate the coach and the team, they are a perfect fit for the city and the state.

And really, Bob, if you want to know the truth, I think we just get a kick out of saying we are God's favorite team.

 
At February 16, 2007 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God did not MAKE the Colts win, but he obviously ALLOWED it. Reward for the lives they live? We can't know that. But I'm content, as a Hoosier, to revel in their success and to thank God for whatever part He had in it. If any.

I do think the Colts are His favorite team, though. :)

 
At February 16, 2007 11:43 AM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Mike, As always, another great response.

Wonder where Carol is? You know the one I quoted. She reads this stuff, I just wish she would step up and join this discussion. If she doesn't join in maybe I will have to do a special post on her, the gal from Bedford, Indiana! :)

CHAD: I agree, the Colts played much better and ended up being the better and more capable team. And, Coach "Colts" did a superb job-
before, during and after that great game.

As for God, I'm sure He smiled when the team honored Him. Help em win?
That's another story, don't you think?

Doe anyone know who professes to know Jesus Christ (personally) on the Bears team? professing believers?

 
At February 16, 2007 12:07 PM, Blogger Judy said...

Well, I didn't even WATCH the super bowl, probably couldn't have told you who was in it. But I did watch it a few years ago when the then mighty Rams had their day. If I remember correctly, and I'm sure I do, they were led by a Jesus professing QB who turned the football world upside down with his accurate throws from years of indoor football (is that what it is called?) That was an awesome platform for Kurt to witness and I don't think his professions of Christ have changed but his football career has hit the skids. So did God make him and his team win the SuperBowl? Has God deserted him since he has not had the winning career? I'm not thinking He did so. But it sure offered one of His own the opportunity to praise Him, and God has certainly provided whatever the Warners have needed to cope with not doing so well in football. The picture is much bigger than the Super Bowl trophy (does it have a special name?).

 
At February 16, 2007 12:30 PM, Blogger Rick Dugan said...

Why do we always assume that God is on the side of the winners?

 
At February 16, 2007 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My point in short....God allowed and honored the desire of their heart. Why them and not other God centered teams? Only God knows. Just like we don't know why God answers some of our prayers and not others.
God has no favorites, by the way!
Now, lets move on.
**Bob you will never change! :) Carol

 
At February 16, 2007 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, Anonymous Carol...and may he never change. What would a reformed Bob be like? Horrors!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters