Wednesday, February 14, 2007

I share a note from Adam, my friend, as a gift to you, my friends.

Life goes on, doesn't it? A year ago, I sent some of you a note about my Valentine's Day Celebration. I am celebrating once again, a year later, a year older, and with any luck, a year wiser.

If you received last year's note, you'll perhaps remember that this is the day I celebrate Love and love. I'm inviting you to break your plans and join the party. Of course, many of you did not receive an email from me this time last year, and that pleases me, because my circle expandeth.

Have you ever been angry, sad, or bitter on this day, longing for something you did not have? Some are sad today, but I know that, just like Paul, all blessings in the Heavenly realms are mine, with of course ten thousand beside. For what else could I possibly ask?

Did you see the couple who died in one another's arms? I'm celebrating the love I share with friends today, knowing that it reflects capital-L Love that I will know in full for the rest of eternity. One month ago today, I remembered what a hug can mean, as I stood by the curb, and then waited in the ER for a word on a couple of friends with whom I had been in a serious auto accident. It seemed that we were all numbed by the sudden trauma, until we hugged one another, and the emotion welled up. I'm thankful that we're all okay or will be, and our love for one another has grown, I think. Friends from all walks, know that my love is with you today, and I know even more now than ever before exactly how much you mean to me. Hug someone today and tell them you love them. Happy Valentine's Day to you, my friends!

Today, I also celebrate my family. Too many families are broken, but I am living proof that God can heal a broken home. My parents continue to love me without question, even when I am difficult and cast aside their tested wisdom. Remember when Jesus told the rich young man to give away all he had? My dad has shown that sort of commitment to his family. He lives in a small rented home, driving vehicles that are as old as I, and gives to his children until there is no more to give. That I may live up to his example and commitment is one of my most earnest prayers. Visiting my family for diverse holidays has been especially touching in the last several months, as it has been as close to heaven on earth as I probably ever will be. Love, warmth, acceptance, and grace pervades my parents' households, and it lifts my heart. This St. Valentine's Day, I celebrate the love of my family, and I encourage you to do the same.

To put to words the next part of my triune celebration may well prove impossible. I giggled as I walked home from Bethel Baptist Church that summer day, for reasons that I haven't yet come to understand. I was a child, maybe seven years of age, and I had abandoned my ride home from Vacation Bible School in order to talk to the pastor after the program. That day, he led me in a prayer that changed me for good, indeed, changed me for Good. Tears well up as I compose even now. Walking the half-mile home by myself was nothing compared to the road my life might have otherwise taken. That day, I learned of a God who loves beyond measure and asked if I might know Him and be known by Him. And today, in my celebration of St. Valentine's Day, I know that whatever else has happened, hasn't happened, or will happen; I know that whether or not I'm exchanging boxes of chocolate and giving roses; I know that Love has been my guide. I capitalize the Word because it should be. It's the only Love that endures through the end of time. Happy Valentine's Day, friends and family! Know that my love is with you, and my prayer is that Love is also.


The Planter: Thanks Adam, as a young single adult, you put it all in perspective for us. How refreshing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters