Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Family Update

We are still trying to get our minds around what happened in our fire. This is a true test for me, I must Admit!

1. My skin grafts are healing but are painful as they need constant stretching to avoid further surgery. In a few days I will receive the prescription and more permanent hand and left arm sleeve that will need to be worn for a year only to be taken off for 1 hour of the 24 each day. The sleeve I have is almost intolerable at times, so the tighter prescription with take some getting used to.

I do have pain but am handling it when I can without pain meds.

I and Michelle still wrestle with trying to get our minds around what has happened. Our home is a gutted shell. It is even hard to believe that it is our home. What a mess, and what a tragedy. Michelle thought I died in the fire when the garage roof cave in. What a horrible thing to think and try to handle.

I find it hard to accept that I could not put the fire out myself. It went so fast. I cannot get the pictures of the fire out of my mind. Sometimes I feel traumatised by it all. While we lost all of our furniture and most of our belongings I still wish I would wake up from the nightmare. It's not the loss that bothers me, it's my inability to put the fire out. Had I stayed in the garage fighting the fire I would be dead because in seconds the garage collapsed, but I keep thinking I must have done something more..

ARE THERE ANY OTHERS FIRE VICTIMS WHO CAN SHARE WITH ME?

1 Comments:

At April 27, 2007 7:48 AM, Blogger gltnforpnshmnt said...

Bob,
I've never been through a fire, but I was in a car wreck in January, and there's nothing quite like the feeling that one of your loved ones is dead. My heart hurts for Michelle in that regard, and for your whole family for the mess you're going through. A car accident like mine is such a small thing compared to this, but I know how traumatizing it was for me and my friends. So I understand what you're feeling. Don't be afraid to talk to a counselor--insurance may pick up the tab.

And one last thing, I know that your fire and my accident have one thing in common, and it never hurts to be reminded of it. Everyone is alive and safe. Thank God and God alone for his hand of grace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters