Thursday, July 12, 2007

Simple Clarity

Every where I go I find leaders who refuse to accept the supremacy of the Great Commission. Listen up! Jesus rose from the grave and gave the Great Commission with all authority and full power as the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. It seems to me that before Jesus left for glory He wanted to remind us of something very very important. If it wasn't important why did Jesus demonstrate the importance by making sure we received this final reminder/command?

Jesus also said, "Wait in Jerusalem for the Holy Spirit."

I see a common thread in the church where the Great Commission and the Holy Spirit are largely ignored.

We must reaffirm our theology of:
The Great Commission and the Lordship of the Holy Spirit in our lives.

We must reform our practice by:
Returning to the missional supremacy of making disciples.
Being filled with and walking in the Spirit.

What we say we believe must be seen in our actions or we really do not believe it.

We must measure the right thing as the one true measure of success:
Holy Spirit transformed followers of Christ.

It's time to quit celebrating our human success of buildings, budgets, better programs and butts in pews and begin counting Holy Spirit transformed followers of Christ. What really matters for eternity is changed lives who live to see other lives changed as the main thing. Why settle for temporal results when we can count the eternal ones?

If Jesus didn't want us ALL to make disciples why did He tell us ALL to make disciples?

People tell me they accept the authority of God's Word but refuse to accept the Great Commission as a personal mandate given to us with authority from Jesus following His resurrection.

I could say more, but I'll leave that to you.

2 Comments:

At July 13, 2007 2:57 PM, Blogger Kirk Kimble said...

My pastor is in Portland this weekend so I get to do Sunday morning. My Thesis: Jesus didn't suffer horribly and die on a cross so we could just go to church on Sunday.

The question will be... what soulish (worldly, selfish, comfortable, material, idolatrous) things are you committed to that keep you from wholly surrendering to the Spirit's control of your life, and to the mission that Jesus left us with?

The call to action will be to embrace the (great co-)mission and surrender and receive the Promise of the Father (the baptism/filling of the Holy Spirit)for power to head into the mission. Hmmmm... I wonder how this will play? I'm praying that God speaks to hearts!

I'm with you, Bob, and I do not understand how a person can dispute what you say in your post if they will carefully consider the clear teaching of scripture with an ear open to the Spirit (1 John 2:27) for illumination.

 
At July 14, 2007 11:24 AM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

You are my hero, Kirk. May your tribe increase for the sake of the harvest that is still unreached and will not be reached without more Christ following Great Commission fulfilling leaders/believers like yourself.

Where are you from? I need to speak further with you.

Email me: bcarder@centurytel.net

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters