Saturday, September 01, 2007

Sadness of fatness/physical or spiritual?

Fox news is reporting this morning on the sadness of fatness in America. Fatness is killing our health care system, so they say. It's getting so bad they say that the government is considering giving our fast food restaurants a "fat tax" so that fat people will eat healthier by not eating their. I'm gaining weight and I eat very little unhealthy food. I'm just getting through some skins grafts and I.V antibiotics 4 times a day for a month, requiring little activity. I'm taking in more than I'm burning to heal my wounds and infection. We have our own excuses.

1. We have no right to discriminate against fat people.
2. Why don't we talk about talk about the skinny's. Not!
3. Some fat people cannot help it, they have a low metabolism or whatever. Some skinny's have a fast metabolism and cannot help that either.

If there is a sadness of fatness in America it has to be in the local America Church. We waddle into our churches "the location" every week to dine at the spiritual buffet of options and then we gripe when the sermon tastes bad, when it is undercooked and when it is and or overcooked. There is nothing more selfish than standing in front of a spiritual buffet waiting to be stuffed so we can waddle out to wait for the next spiritual buffet. Spiritual buffets are food for energy to do what we must do. In the spiritual sense we just keep eating and eating and the unused energy of disobedience has us porking spiritually.

Fat people (Whatever that is)may not be able to help it. But spiritual porkers can. It's time to dump the sermon outline and begin doing what we were taught. Go into the world means go, not sit on the couch eating chips and viewing our favorite O'Reilly Factor while the world is headed for hell in large part without a Savior.

I have compassion for those who are attacked and mistreated for being overweight/underweight.
I have no mercy for the spiritual porkers who take in but never use the energy to fulfill the mission of Jesus passed on to each of us.

1 Comments:

At September 05, 2007 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right about "spiritual fat" in the church.

I wish I knew what to do about the physical fat in our culture! I think it should be addressed by disciplers/spiritual teachers.

I've wanted to start a new series in teaching called "Step On Our Toes" series. I want to address obesity; food addiction; substance addiction; power addiction; lack of discipline; spiritual starvation from lack of the Word; etc.

I must confess I need help! I also confess I'm wondering why I'm ticked off at so many fat people everywhere I go! I can't say that stats might show very many who "can't help it." It has to be attitude/action/character issues for many.

I speak as one in fair shape as you are, Bob. That makes me feel hesitant to address any of this. From "eating out" to "hand out" to "the world owes me" to "Hey, welfare is available" I believe it all adds up to basic attitudes and results in physical manifestations (at least some!).

How about the recent news on obesity being a socially contagious thing? Hang around friends who eat and gain and you will too (I guess that's what it is!).

Someone needs to fill us in not so much on the application of illustration about being fat, but on being fat itself from a biblical viewpoint. I don't think I'm as compassionate as you, Bob! But I'll share Jesus with anyone where there's opportunity. I just have to pray that I won't pass on opportunity because of prejudice on this issue.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters