Tuesday, October 02, 2007

A Doomsday Forecast...

As much as I hate to say this, the church in America in her present and static "location" and institutional forms has a gloomy future. If I'm right and I'm not always right, but if I am, there is a changing climate on the horizon. As America continues to become more and more post-Christian it is more likely than probable that the church institution will be threatened. I can see a government crack down and enormous persecution on the church in less than 50 years which means I could see it in my lifetime sparing good health.

While I predict a Doomsday forecast for the church "the location" I predict a huge harvest of disciples for the Church "the movement" of Christ followers who are not held to institutional structures and certain locations. The church "the location" will empty. The Church "the body of Christ" will thrive. When people ask me where my church is I tell them they are looking at part of it. People are the Church not buildings. People are the bride of Christ not bricks and mortar. Instead of asking people to go to my church I ask them to come with me. I tell them about Jesus not about my church program. I show them the way to Jesus.

I believe God is orchestrating an underground movement of disciple-makers who are not dependent on certain locations, larger budgets, more butts in pews, better programs and more staff. God is raising up believers who will carry the torch of the Gospel without the identifying structures known as the church. There is a Church being birthed who don't just go to church -they live as the Church in the world where people live work and play.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters