Sunday, March 02, 2008

Widely Ignored TRUTH....OUCH!

As a pastor for in great churches in Indiana and Illinois, for the most part it was full of joy and fulfillment. I saw people come to Christ. I saw marriages healed. We witnessed those with huge addictions delivered by the power of God.

I was also grieved deeply over the sins of the church. I preached about gossip, selfishness, condemnation on others, the Great Commission mandate, the need to stop being pew potatoes and get off the duff and go to work, I often spoke against the feed me mentality. I even liked Christians to being spiritual porkers eating at the spiritual buffet of options and regular feedings.

I have repented for not insisting with more boldness that these things and others be evident in all the hearts present. Sometimes at risk of offending my boldness was toned down.

1. I should have gotten every believer in discipling relationship and actively engaging the Great Commission.
2. I should have boldly called out the sin of not personally engaging the Great Commission instead of just saying "Amen" to the great messaging and then letting the church ministries fulfill the Great Commission.I failed to hold members accountable to obey these things.
3. I should have rebuked pastors and denominational leaders for encouraging the church to lay down on the Great Commission. It's not called "Great" for nothing.

But back then, I was doing what I was taught to do and how to do it. And I learned what I learned to do and I did what I learned to do very well. It wasn't that God didn't show, because He did. He worked in spite of me and others. So just as I needed grace, we all need it because it was as if our eyes were blinded from this mandate truth and it's implications for the kingdom.

As pastors and denominational leaders we have failed in teaching and leading people to fulfill the mission of Christ. We do a great work to fill meet great needs but in doing so we have cheapened grace and watered down obedience. I grieve that the congregations I served may never taste the sheer joy leading someone to Christ in natural settings as a normal part of their lives. We all get grace for not knowing how important this is. Even pew sitters who let the church program fulfill the great commission without personally owning it, get grace. THAT IS UNTIL NOW! We must live the Truth or stand before God alone, not having even one disciple.

Those Pastors/denominational leaders and believers who now know this truth mandate must proclaim it with boldness that "Christ followers must personally engage the mandate of the Great Commission as a supreme act of obedience". To obey or not to obey is the question. We must teach them/equip them and release them to return with a level of accountability much like Wesley's groups. Isn't this more important than singing in the choir or something? (Actually we should do away with the choir, my greatest church problems/divisive actions came through the choir. Isn't this true for most of you reading this? I have discovered that two or three rotten eggs can cause quite a stink in the choir loft. Enough sarcasm and statements without thinking.)

I am finding that all new believers we are reaching just normally accept the mandate of the Great Commission while many leaders and believers defend this truth away in some sort of excusing themselves away. When we lead someone to Jesus in our disciple driven church project they immediately go out and lead others. They do it because we immediately teach them the supremacy of the Great Commission and that it is their responsibility and then we show them how to do it -- that's the easy part.

What part of this blog bothers you? Is my choir thoughts and my need to forgive the 2 or 3 rotten eggs? Or, is it the bold proclamation regarding our new job description. Or do you agree with some part of this?

GRACE THOUGHTS: I really love choral music and those who allow the Holy Spirit to sing through them. I have been blessed many a time. But the truth remains, a few rotten eggs in the choir seem to always win and poison others leading to divisiveness. Because of this I was often tempted to shut down the choir. At the same time I can honestly say that I love every choir member I served with in ministry. God has given me a grace that heals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters