Friday, August 01, 2008

My friend J.R. writes

Rediscovering Church: Giving To Jesus Not Man

I was sitting in my office, preparing for an upcoming youth retreat when the phone rang. The man on the other end introduced himself as Ken. "I have left the Jehovah's Witness," he said. "My family has disowned me and I have no money. Can you help?"

I met up with Ken at the local mall where he shared a very convincing story of loneliness and financial need. I drove Ken to my ATM and gave him Two hundred and fifty dollars. It was a huge amount of money, more than Ken was asking of me, but I felt the Lord telling me to give that specific amount.

As I handed the money to Ken I said to him, "I don't know if you are telling the troth," I suspected Ken might be a charlatan.

"It is easy to fool me because I am a very trusting person. But I am not giving you this money because I trust you, but because God asked me to help you and to help those who are in need. If it turns out you are lying, then I want you to know that you are stealing this money from God, not me."

I drove Ken back to the mall and gave my parting words, "Ken, no matter how you use this gift, don't ever forget that I did it out of love and faithfulness to God."

I never saw Ken again. I soon realized that he had called me from a pay-phone in the mall and Ken had been running this scam at different churches all over the state. Seven years have passed since that day, and sometimes I still feel foolish for giving Ken money that could have gone to my family. I was embarrassed and ashamed for a long time by how I was deceived.

If stories like these have made you stop giving, to your church or those in need, then I encourage you to rediscover your motive for giving in the first place. Rediscover the joy of giving based on the teachings of Jesus Himself.

Mark 12:38-44 [Open in Libronix (if available)] In His teaching [Jesus] was saying: “Beware of the scribes who like to walk around in long robes, and like respectful greetings in the market places, 39 and chief seats in the synagogues and places of honor at banquets, 40 who devour widows’ houses, and for appearance’s sake offer long prayers; these will receive greater condemnation.” 41 And He sat down opposite the treasury, and began observing how the people were putting money into the treasury; and many rich people were putting in large sums. 42 A poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which amount to a cent. 43 Calling His disciples to Him, He said to them, “Truly I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the contributors to the treasury; 44 for they all put in out of their surplus, but she, out of her poverty, put in all she owned, all she had to live on.”

True, we must be wary of those who would steal our gifts. But did you notice that Jesus does not condemn this women for giving foolishly to the religious leaders. On the contrary, Jesus says she is a model giver. This woman is blessed beyond others because she gave a sacrificial gift of love to God.

It does not matter how money gets used because neither you, nor I, can control it once given. Give freely! God's blessing does not depend upon the amount we give. God's blessing does not depend upon how the money is used, or abused, by the receiver. God will be their judge! But in your life, God's blessing is dependent upon our willingness to give generously with love.

Stop giving to Man and start giving to Jesus and you will receive joy beyond measure!

THE PLANTER: Now we are finally making the point. Thanks J.R. To read more of J.R. visit More than Cake

2 Comments:

At August 01, 2008 2:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Glad you dug it brother!

 
At August 03, 2008 12:36 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

It is a great article and is also articulated very well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters