Thursday, November 13, 2008

Sojourner writes

When Church Services Leave People Still Needing Church

During a recent conversation, friends were telling me about their journey back into the life of the Church, and of their experiences visiting various congregations. One of these experiences easily stood out from the others:

It was a Sunday morning, and after loading their kids into the car they drove out to one of the larger, and fairly well known churches in their town. Once inside they felt overwhelmed by the performance-oriented "praise band", the constant use of the "big screen", and rally-like "feel" of the entire service. As my friend put it, "I got out of there feeling like I needed to go to church!"

The point, of course, is that much of what is marketed and portrayed as "church" ends up being something less than that. And today's postmodern population is figuring that out.

Yes, my friend was raised in the church, and was exposed to worship styles both liturgical and contemporary. But like so many -- young adults in particular -- he finds solace and comfort and strength from participating in liturgical worship and especially appreciates the ancient-future blend that characterizes the worship gatherings where I serve.

We evangelicals in particular have done violence to many of the ancient traditions of our faith, handed down to us through the centuries. In their place, we have appealed to business and marketing models for doing church, and have used pop-psychology and political correctness as a measuring stick. And although many of us are probably sick and tired of hearing how the Church's effectiveness and witness has been compromised by consumerism, materialism, and radical individualism -- the story of my friend's experience is a painful reminder that we certainly have done violence to the Church, and to her reputation. How sad, that people would come desiring to worship God along with His people, only to leave feeling like what they just experienced wasn't even worship!

Have we slipped THAT far? Are we THAT blind? Are church leaders even open to the idea that we've got it wrong, or is it just easier to blame everything on consumer-oriented congregants? See sojourner for more.

6 Comments:

At November 17, 2008 4:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This article puzzles me somewhat Bob. You rightly argue that the Church has become consummer driven, but in the next breath are talking about your friend not gaining from the service what he expected to get from it. Isn't that consummerism?
I get so dissappointed with people talking about a "worship service". I'm not sure where this concept came from, but the Church seems to have adopted this as its mainstay function and the idea of whole of life service as worship has faded into the background leading to dualistic living.
Am I making sense here or is this too radical?

 
At November 18, 2008 11:24 AM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Anony, I didn't say anything above was a good thing. I was rightly pointing out the ineffectiveness of the modern American Church and her inability to engage the entire family in Great Commission purposed living.

I would strongly agree with you in your comments above. You are very right to say that the modern American Church is leading people into a track of dualistic living without them even knowing it.

Of course we are deceived by the enemy in doing so.

You are not too radical for me, I love your kind of thinking. You are right on as far as I can see.

 
At November 18, 2008 11:26 AM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Worshipping service to God has been largely replaced by serving the worship service.

 
At November 20, 2008 1:23 PM, Blogger Michael Ehret said...

I like Anony's idea of your whole life's service serving as your worship to God. I enjoy trying to live that way as much as I can.

But I also enjoy the "worship service" where the children of God come together in praise and worship of God through music, proclaiming the Word, drama, etc.

Where I see a problem is if we see worship as only, or even mostly, the traditional "worship service." And, of course, I lose my cool entirely when people start trying to say what "kind" of community worship is appropriate on Sunday morning.

Repeat after me: It's not about me. It's not about me. It's not about me. It's not about me. (Repeat until you believe it.)

But we've been here before, Bobert.

 
At November 21, 2008 11:39 AM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Mike, I'm for worship with other believers to declare God's glory! I'm with you bro! We insist that all of our disciple making disciples/movements engage in worship with other believers. Because all are believers we do not have to produce a show - Jesus is the main attraction. It's amazing when the focus is off the choir how clearly we see Jesus!

 
At November 21, 2008 2:53 PM, Blogger Michael Ehret said...

I know you are...I know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters