Thursday, August 24, 2006

Everytime I turn around...

Every time I turn around God is opening new doors for reaching people. I love it. Now that I turned the corner in my life to do ministry organically with the expectation that God is putting people in my path every time I turn around, I am seizing the moment(s).

Yesterday, I met with two pastors from southern Missouri and shared my heart about disciples making disciples who make disciples and we were having the greatest time. Our waitress had a shirt on that said Uncle Bill's (where a name tag goes) so I addressed her as Uncle Bill to break the ice. She loved it and from then on she was uncle Bill. She watched us, she listened to us and she spoke with us about how God gave her the purpose of loving and serving people as a waitress. She is reading the Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren and she is growing closer to God. While there I was doing discipleship the way Jesus did (does).

There's more to the story! The guy cleaning the tables was a young 23 year old African American by the name of Alix - who was working hard. I decided when I had the chance I was going to speak with him and let him know I noticed his hard work and attention to detail. As he came around me, I rudely broke out of our conversation and engaged Alix and did just as I decided to do. He lit up with encouragement. He then turned and then turned back and said he was looking for a church home. Pastor Kevin told him he would find someone to get in touch at the restaurant. I continued to meet with my two pastor friends and the longer we met the more I understood what God wanted me to do. I approached Alix and asked if we could meet for lunch or supper, and then I learned that he lives in the heart of St. Louis, and then he told me that he was not just looking for a church, he was looking for ministry because God has called him to touch people. I have his phone number and will likely call him today to go to the next level.

Now here's the best part. Pastor Terry our first disciple-making disciples making leader in this metro region has been praying about doing home group house churches all over the metro region. He has mapped out ten places where He feels God is leading him to start groups with a focus on disciples making disciples who make disciples. You should have felt the excitement as Pastor T felt confirmation to proceed.

Here's where I need you. Please pray that Alix will want to be mentored and trained by us and connect us with others in the heart of the city. Pray that Alix will grow to become a leader of leaders in disciple making. I know he loves Jesus and I know he will love this idea. What he doesn't know is that he can minister without a church "building" ministry. When God gets done with him - Alix will have a ministry of exponential discipleship growth. The disciples that could come from this young man will use their lives also in making disciples who make disciples in homes, parks, around pool tables, restaurants and even on street corners.

Every time I turn around God shows up and is making my dream of a disciples making disciples a move of God in America. Will you join with me to change America for Christ and not just influence her?

2 Comments:

At August 24, 2006 4:23 PM, Blogger Curt said...

Amazing what can happen when people become our focus...not programs, buildings, and the heavy load of Western organizational models. As I strive to make people be my focus, I actually become aware of people and not just "others" filling space around me. It becomes a goal to begin a conversation and let them know they are important and noticed. When people know they are important and noticed...not even for what they do...but just because they are...oh the opportunities that arise. Thanks for sharing that great story from the restaurant!

 
At August 24, 2006 8:38 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Love your heart and desire to de-progaram from Americanized Christianity. You will see an organic harvest like you have never dreamed possible.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters