Tuesday, August 22, 2006

A Neat Party With New Lessons

I'm blogging deprived since I have been gone recruiting and fund raising the last few days.

Anyway, I had the great privilege to be with my two very good friends San and Dominic and their family and friends. This party was Sunday afternoon. There was lots of laughter, food, conversation, obvious deep relationships, good jokes, wisdom, discussions that were deep and even home made wine (yes I was around wine) in abundance and being consumed by some (and I never saw anyone who looked or acted intoxicated).

I made many observations as I interacted with mostly (Italians & Greeks) and (mostly of Catholic faith) and then there was me - I am Dutch and Cherokee Indian and Missionary. I did not feel out of place because they took me in. Not only was I treated like family - but they really made me family.

The Lord helped me quickly be accepted as a human being and not as a minister. The Lord helped me quickly overcome their wrong perceptions about ministers and Christians in general. The Lord helped me show them I loved them and appreciated each one. They let me in and I let them in. Some of my deepest relationships in life are beginning to bloom.

Then it dawned on me like a ton of bricks hitting me side of my head. The caring and acceptance and caring, and happiness of being together with a demonstration of great love and respect for one another was something I have never experienced at this level in my entire life. As I shared this with Dominic I almost cried as tears welled up in my eyes (and I don't cry).

The circles I have lived in never afforded me this depth. Some in my circles (perhaps many) would condemn being in this setting with (wine, differing church affiliation and whatever). But as I saw good in them they also saw good in me (no need to criticize or judge). I almost felt like I was at the Wedding with Jesus and the miracle of turning water into wine (the best and the real. I wondered about the actions of Jesus as I pictured him with his glass of (the real McCoy) wine with his bread (with no damage to his witness). How Pharisaical have we become and the only "offended" would be the religious with all of their self-righteousness in all of our judgemental attitudes and false measures of being holy? It was and is the Pharisee that said (or thinks) Jesus hurt His witness and for sure the tax collector never thought such a thing. Actually for us to act in any other way actually hinders His message. We do that all the time when we focus on man made rules and false measurements.

This is the way the Church should be; more kind, accepting of others, less critical, no judgemental and exclusive attitudes (as if we are so good). As I spoke with my new friends I discovered that home values are stronger and the children seem more respectful and they teach manners, work ethic and respect for parents. And you know what? Is is not my job to try to figure out who is with and who is without Jesus.

I am learning from the cultures of others who have much to show about life, love, community, acceptance and respect for others. I did see Jesus at the party working as He always does -through people.

2 Comments:

At August 23, 2006 7:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the way you share what you're learning with us. I'm sometimes surprised, sometimes not, always moved.

I feel fortunate to not have been impacted too much by this Pharisaical (sp?) Christianity you speak of. In my walk, we are all God's children regardless of what we drink (or don't) and our denominational affiliation (or not).

As I've shared before, my weakness is being comfortable in whatever group I'm part of -- and not reaching outside of my groups. That's where my comfort zone ends.

I'm comfortable being the Christian I am regardless of the group, but actually going out and looking for new people who don't know Christ? I fall down there. I'm not comfortable "sharing my testimony", but I am comfortable living it.

Love you, Bob. Keep sharing with us. You are the first thing I read in the mornings and I'm nearly always encouraged.

 
At August 25, 2006 6:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand what you are saying, and I cry with you over the sadness of people not knowing or receiving true unconditional love.

When you have received it, you know it, and your life will be different.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters