Saturday, September 23, 2006

Why are you defensive?

It's amazing to me that when I talk about making the main thing -the Making of Disciples who are released and or taught to make disciples themselves - leaders in America cringe. I watch their body language as I speak about the fulfillment of the Great Commission and her importance.

As I speak about the supremacy of the Great Commission and the fact that everything Jesus did in his life leads us to transforming our world. All the parables, all of His actions focusses on lost people and the reason He came to earth (not just my redemption). And then Jesus rises from the dead, gathered with the apostles and said, "Oh, before I leave I want to re-emphasize your marching orders, Make Disciples by "Going" - "Baptizing" - "Teaching to Obey".

A leader spoke to me -"The Bible doesn't say everyone should make disciples who make disciples. It says Go and Make Disciples." I tried to be kind when I refuted him by pointing out that while it doesn't say the phrase "Everyone Make Disciples" it does say, "Teach them (I assume is everyone) to obey." I just cannot imagine Jesus taking the time to come back from the dead to make this mandate for a chosen few. Come on folks!

You tell me -why leaders in America get defensive when we speak of the Supremacy of the Great Commission as everyone's supreme mandate and as the most important thing we do?

What is more important than releasing all believers to lead people to Jesus who lead people to Jesus.

1 Comments:

At September 23, 2006 7:16 PM, Blogger Dr. Terry M. Goodwin said...

We spent an hour in church today talking about this subject. When we talk to people about our "church" they get defensive. Walls go up. It is clear Scripture that Jesus commanded His disciples to go make disciples. He also told them to teach their disciples to do all that He commanded. I think many are aware that they are not fulfilling this command and talking about it brings a reaction from guilt. I have yet to meet a disciple maker that objects to this teaching.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters