Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Do I have it right, yet?

Let's assume that our most important "Supreme" action as Christ followers is to lift up Jesus as the King of Kings and Lord or Lord's and ultimate authority in our lives. He is first!

There are three important circles or "priorities" that intersect with Jesus!

Frost and Hirsch help me with three words: Communion, Commission and Community. Let me define them as I see these words playing out in Scripture.

Communion- We are in relationship with Jesus and live with a since of love, awe and wonder with Him as we commune daily and not just Sunday.

Commission - Since we have given ourselves to Him -we serve and give to those He loves. And, He loves all people. As we love those in the world and build relationships with them weengage those Holy Spirit led opportunities to reveal Christ in words and actions. As we do -people come to Him!

Community - We are in relationship with other Christ followers for support, encouragement and accountablility in loving God and serving His mission in the world.

Transformation occurs when all three are present in the life of a Christ-follower. It is never either or -it is all three.

What am I missing here?

4 Comments:

At November 09, 2006 4:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I believe this is on the same track that I am thinking.

What is the chief end of man?

Man's chief end is to glorify God, [a] and to enjoy Him for ever. [b]

[a]: Ps. 86:9; Isa. 60:21; Rom. 11:36; I Cor. 6:20; 10:31; Rev. 4:11
[b]: Ps. 16:5-11; 144:15; Isa. 12:2; Luke 2:10; Phil. 4:4; Rev. 21:3-4

How do we do glorify God on this earth, and how do we enjoy Him forever?

1. By embracing the Cross... believing in Jesus (TRANSFORMATIONAL)

2. By experiencing Community... belonging with Jesus & believers together (RELATIONAL)

3. By engaging the Culture with the gospel... being Jesus to those around us (INCARNATIONAL)

 
At November 09, 2006 7:38 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Finally!! Now I can breathe a sigh of relief!

Dave -pray for us as we have close to 30 adults joining together in Kansas City this weekend to learn how to create a disciple-making movement...in these metro regions.

These people are embracing the cross and are experiencing community. Now they have a hunger to engage our culture and create a movement of disciples-making disciples! I wish you could join us.

Please pray that God moves in on us and that we depart ready and prepared to tackle the missional task before us.

I love what you are passionate about andthe gifting God has given you to communicate His message of Truth.

I cannot wait for the church in America to embrace all three. I believe God will do it, don't you?

I sure hope others will weigh in one this subject.

 
At November 10, 2006 8:07 AM, Blogger Dr. Terry M. Goodwin said...

God is doing it around me everyday Bob. Paradigms are being changed in people's hearts and minds. I am watching people engage, resist, wrestle and then embrace the truth of Scripture in a way that I have never experienced in my 20+ years in the Seeker Sensitive Mega Church movement.

It is an exciting time to be a Christ follower in America.

 
At November 13, 2006 11:42 AM, Blogger Greg Getz said...

I like lofty thoughts as much as the next guy...or at least I used to. Maybe I've become more cranky and impatient with old age, but it seems like lofty thoughts are like sauteed mushrooms - a bonus, delicious, special, attractive, but I came for the beef.

Bob, Dave, et al, what behaviors need to be exhibited in a discipler? Or better yet, what common behaviors in laity and pastors need to change become disciplers that match the lofty paradigm shifts. Compare and contrast conventional churchman behavior with raw-meat-eating discipler behavior. (I will post a copy of this to Bob's answer in my blog.)

greg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters