Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Fooey on it...

I have been thinking and praying alott. We got hung up in blogland over the word "Supremacy" of the Great Commission. I dropped the word "supremacy" and agreed that Love for God, Living the Great Commission and enfolding believers are three priorities. You all liked that!

I hate to blow out your bubbbles - but I continue to believe that the Great Commission is the supreme act of Obedience for every Christ follower. Those who do not take the Great Commission this way will stand before Jesus and look Him into the eye and tell Him why you think it is not a supreme act of obedience. Let's see if I am wrong!

The Great Commission was given with the authority of a resurrected Savior who was totally Divine and with power as God and truly the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. The Great Commission is God's answer to a failing American Church and necessary for us to become Missional and world changers. Without the Great Commission priority owned by every believer we continue with one attempt after another for new programming hoping for new results. It doesn't work!

Fooey on those of you who cannot have the scales removed from your eyes and cannot see that the Great Commission as our first "supreme" act of obedience. And please show me why you believe this is not true. And please prove to me that the Great Commission isn't all inclusive of all Jesus taught us to obey. I remember Jesus saying, "Make disciples and teach them to obey all things I have commanded you." The Great Commission is ALL INCLUSIVE of all commands in Scripture. If you take the Great Commission seriously you have to take everything Jesus taught seriously.

Fooey on those who argue this point. The Truth is clear. May God help us all!

Now go for it and show me in Scripture why the Great Commission is not our first "Supreme" act of Obedience. If you think worship is the supreme thing -it's covered in the Great Commission. If you think servanthood is the supreme thing -it is covered in the Great Commission. It's all covered by the Great Commission, yet a majority of the Church in America neglect her and devalue her importance. (Let's forget Jesus said this and when He said it and why). If you get this right -alott of right will follow -not to mention out of control fruit.

I'm listening!

12 Comments:

At November 15, 2006 6:20 AM, Blogger Dr. Terry M. Goodwin said...

I love your boldness - NO COMPROMISE - The line must be drawn here. While you take the pot shots Bob, my whole group is embracing this concept and lives are being radically changed.

People are prayerfully seeking God led encounters with the lost on a daily basis. God is a consuming fire and this Great Commission teaching fans the flames.

While the various leaders from around the country will now post lengthy debates with you on this subject, I will continue to march with the orders Christ gave me. Ivory Towers make poor evangelists.

Before anyone posts a response they should look around them and see the lack of passion for the lost that permeates American Christians. Is it any wonder why there is no passion for the lost? The Great Commission is hung on lighted signs and included in church mission statements but then we consume all of our time, talent and treasure serving the function of the church event in the name of the Great Commission.

According to most research I have ever seen, somewhere around 95% of all Christians in America have never led someone to the Lord! Shocking? Not for me. You reap what you sow. We sow the priorities of worship events and community and we get Christians that go to worship events and attend small groups calling it community. We tell people that serving as an usher or parking lot attendant fulfills their service to God. HOGWASH!

****Attention All Christians****

Seeking and saving the lost is a Holy Spirit led mission. Once a person embraces the mission the Holy Spirit works through them to reach the lost. Do you want to feel the presence of God working through your life? Embrace the Great Commission. Surrender your life to it. Then submit yourself to the Holy Spirit's leading each day. It will change your life. I promise you that everything else a Christian should be and do will flow naturally as a result.

 
At November 15, 2006 7:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought potlucks were the supreme thing...darn, I'm outta touch.

 
At November 15, 2006 12:34 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Oh how I miss those potlucks with possum and gooseberry pie!

Terry - you got my attention!

 
At November 15, 2006 4:36 PM, Blogger Curt said...

I've enjoyed reading Bob's boldness over the last days. Bob, what have you been eating for breakfast? Fooey, perhaps? I haven't heard that word in a while...thannks for the memories! Or perhaps you should try the decaf? No wait, keep the caf. I like the boldness.

This afternoon I had a time set to meet with a college student that I'm discipling. I was tired. I really wanted out. I just wanted to take a nap. I wanted "me" time. Instead, I obeyed. I humbled myself to the Holy Spirit's leading. I had an amazing time with this college student today. Our discussion was honest and real. Our interaction with the Word was powerful. God was glorified, and I was once again shown that making disciples is essential and...should I say it?...I don't know!...should I?..."supreme"...ouch, that hurt!...to my love of God and love of others.

 
At November 15, 2006 4:41 PM, Blogger Curt said...

One of my favorite bands...the Fooey Fighters...might be able to write a song about this. I'll check with them.

 
At November 15, 2006 4:52 PM, Blogger Dr. Terry M. Goodwin said...

Curt - speaking of decaf - you are on a role. It must feel better now that you have admitted the Supremacy.

 
At November 15, 2006 5:46 PM, Blogger Curt said...

I do feel better. So I'll take a Grande Mocha "Supremacy of Great Commission" Latte. And I'd like to drink that sitting in the shade of my new church sign that Bob referred me to.

 
At November 15, 2006 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Decaf for the lot of you!

 
At November 15, 2006 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am from South Africa, and have very similar understandings. My feeling on the Great Commission.
Should we actually use words or should our lives be such that we will live the Great Commission? Just a thought.

 
At November 16, 2006 6:26 AM, Blogger Dr. Terry M. Goodwin said...

This is not the thread I envisioned when I first read this post. But I like it!!!

 
At November 16, 2006 8:35 AM, Blogger Curt said...

Louwrens,
Words taking on flesh...always the higher value! I've found that when the Great Commission is lived out in my life...amazing things happen. He is most glorified; I am further transformed into the image of Christ; and the same seems to happen with the others in the discipleship process along with me.

 
At November 17, 2006 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read this again and laughed -- out loud! -- about the last line.

The Planter wrote: If you get this right -alott of right will follow -not to mention out of control fruit.

Mike again: I am picturing fighting fruit...a banana attacking an apple. A kumquat wrestling a blueberry. They're out of control!!! Is that a naked orange?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters