Monday, November 13, 2006

Several "teachable" discipleship moments!

At the risk of being seen as horn-tooting I will share these two real life events and I pray will become teachable moments in your lives. While these encounters were brief I believe God will use them for His glory.

Teachable moment #1: On my way to our Disciples-Making Disciples training for our Kansas City and St. Louis group I had to stop for gas at a gas station/Rally's burger joint. I got gas (not from the burger) but for my car. (Not one of those "Eat here and Get Gas" places). As I walked into the Burger joint to get a burger (something Michelle will not let me do) a man and I made eye contact. As I order my meal that rough looking guy was looking at me, so I approached him and asked him if he had lunch and since he hadn't. He declined my offer twice. As I finished paying for my order I felt burdened to try one more time. I walked up and told Him that I was buying his lunch and I would be saddened if he didn't eat it. He quickly agreed! I BOUGHT HIS LUNCH AND HE GOT WHAT HE ORDERED.

As I was leaving I knew I should say something about Jesus but my mind was blank. I walked up and these words came to my mind and I spoke them, "I bought your lunch because God impressed me to do it and I always try (I'm not always listening) to obey God when he speaks in my heart. The only thing I can think of is that God must wants to bless you today and let you know how much He loves you." I wish you could have seen his countenance lift and his face light up. Jesus touched Him and will use this for great glory and redemption.

Teachable moment #2: Our group had reservations at a restaurant in Kansas City before we went home yesterday. I gave the restaurant a reservation number and half of our group at the last minute had to skip lunch. Jaime our server seemed to understand but when I learned she came into work just for us, my heart sank. (less money and less time off kept going through my mind.)

Jaime was great and had a wonderful and joyful attitude as she knew she was serving a church group. God spoke to me, "tip her well". At the end of the meal I took my signed bill and tip and asked her if this tip would be enough! He eyes filled with tears and graciousness and I said this unplanned speech to her, "Our group wants represent Jesus by blessing you. It seems like a God-thing that our total group was not here so God could show how much He loves you in this manner."

Jaime replied, with tear filled eyes, "I have goose bumps! Your group is so kind and you are not like most church groups who leave small tips and tracts. Thank you!" I shared this with our group and it was a teachable moment from God and encouragement for me to listen more and obey when Jesus speaks.

2 Comments:

At November 13, 2006 9:58 PM, Blogger Dr. Terry M. Goodwin said...

Bob - thank you for modeling a lifestyle that shows us how easy it is to connect with others in real and meaningful ways.

 
At November 14, 2006 8:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I echo that. I had goosebumps reading in Indiana.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters