Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Alan Hirsch is my kind of writer

I read these thoughts written by Alan Hirsch on his blog which I later discovered is in his newest book coming out in just a few days called, "The Forgotten Ways" "...various recombinations of contemporary church growth theory and practice seems to be the only solution we have to draw upon to halt the decline in Christianty. It seems to be the only arrow in our quiver - this can't be a good thing...

What is becoming increasingly clear is that if we are going to meaningfully reach this majority of people we are not going to be able to do it by simply doing more of the same. And yet it seems that when faced with our problems of decline we automatically reach for the latest church growth package to solve the problem. We seem to have nowhere else to go. Simply pumping up the programs, improving the music and audiovisual effects, or re-jigging the ministry mix, won’t solve our missional crisis. Something far more fundamental is needed." You can pre-order your own copy through Amazon, you will not regret the challenge.

The Planter responds: Finally someone sees it. What about this is hard to see? Are we so blinded and or insecure in the American Church to see this reality? What will we do? When will we do it? It is high time we get our heads out of the sand and breathe in some reality. What say you?

4 Comments:

At December 27, 2006 9:24 PM, Blogger Missional Jerry said...

Bob your writing to much! I've having a hard time keeping up!

 
At December 27, 2006 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob, have you seen those NBC public service commercials called "The More You Know?"

There's a new set of videos that I think get to the heart of a lot of what you are saying. Check out thechurchyouknow.com

-AD

 
At December 27, 2006 10:25 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Guys, I am eating up some vacation time I cannot carry over into 2007. What else am I supposed to do. Michelle is busy, I've read all the new books on hand and now what?

Maybe I'll go out and see if I can find something to read.

I'm out of circulation on Sat. for my parents 50th surprise party.

Anonymous - I'll check it out. Thanks anon friend.

 
At December 31, 2006 8:05 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

I'm back in circulation - as you can see.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters