Tuesday, December 26, 2006

My Best & Worse books of 2006

Let me rate them:

My best books are rated:
5th Place: "The Monday Morning Church" by Jerry Cook, chapters 1-3 are great & after that his work resembles a book he's written before.

4th Place: "Exiles" by Michael Frost. Excellent work on communitas- the what and how.

3rd Place: "Organic Church" by Neil Cole. Excellent and hard to put down. I just wish he didn't back down on American church overhaul. Please take us into a new paradigm.

2nd Place: "The Shape of Things to Come" by Michael Frost and Alan Hirsch. Incredible and slow digesting. I love their work on incarnational living.

1st Place: "The Present Future" by Reggie McNeal. Has lazer precision on the problems the American church faces.)


My worse book of 2006 (Nothing I have read yet even compares).
Bottom of the Barrel - "Unlearning the Church" by Michael Slaughter. This is just another retooling with little substance or results - "outdated".

Can you give me your reading recommendations and why? Perhaps others will benefit.

3 Comments:

At December 28, 2006 12:10 AM, Blogger Rick Dugan said...

Not all these books were published in 2006, but I read them in 2006.

'The Search to Belong: Rethinking Intimacy, Community and Small Groups' by Joseph Myers. Borrowing some tools from sociology, Myers talks about our need for various levels of community to be healthy (not just small groups). He describes what biblically healthy community looks like at these various levels. It's an important balance, I think, to much of the deconstruction going on in church today.

Likewise, 'The Missional Church: Equipping Your Church to Reach a Changing World' by Roxburgh and Romanuk deals with challenges of discontinuous change and the tendency to repackage old paradigms in new clothes while still acknowledging that congregations matter.

Theologically, 'Atonement for a Sinless Society' by Alan Mann addresses the concept of shame and atonement in postmodern thought. An important book for those sharing the gospel in a postmodern context.

Finally, I've been rereading lots of Dallas Willard this year. Actually, if we just did that (and worked through the study guides), we'd all be a lot better off. If you don't have time for lots of books, read his stuff first!

Worst book I read in 2006? 'The Local Church in a Global Era.' Another case in missing the point.

 
At December 28, 2006 10:49 AM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Thanks Rick, I hope others will share as well.

 
At December 28, 2006 9:17 PM, Blogger Dr. Terry M. Goodwin said...

Along those lines of read in 2006 but not always written in 2006 I have.

1. Organic Church - Spoke to me at just the right time.

2. E. M. Bounds complete works on prayer - changed my prayer life completely.

3. Theology of the Reformers - Lit my fire for reforming the church.

Worst book for me - Planting Growing Churches for the 21st Century - PASS.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters