Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Last Sunday - We didn't go to "service" we were the "service"

This past Sunday did you go to service or did you do service?

Our newest church, True Vine Missionary Church, led by Pastor Terry Goodwin, did not go to service -they did service. Instead of inviting people to church (last Sunday) to show them Jesus - they took Jesus to the people who need to see Him.

Through one of our members we became aware of the need. We gathered for breakfast and car pooled an hour and a half to Mexico, Missouri where we met Cheri and her son Ryan. Cheri has lung cancer in both lungs and is dying. Ryan who is 12 years old is soon to be without a mother.

We gathered in her living room and in a narrow walk way to pray for our efforts, God's help and God to touch Cheri as we placed hands on her for His touch and healing. Soon Cheri left as 12 or so of our new church members went to work while several went for supplies and things to help with the task.

The best way to describe what transpired, "Home Makeover". How do you paint and clean when you cannot see the floor or get to the walls or move anything? I cannot not describe adequately what we found inside. We were overwhelmed but quickly turned it over to God - He brought us to help -He would lead the way and Cheri wanted our help and welcomed it. (Even if she reads this post-which she will not -she would love the praise we give to God.) What followed was amazing as most everything was hauled out onto the large tarp on top of the snow in her front yard. One sorted while plumbing was fixed, walls were patched and painted, floors were cleaned, handicap stuff was installed, cabinets were cleaned and everything was washed, bathrooms scrubbed as one got his hands into it with lots of elbow grease, curtains were made and hung, computers were repaired, dresser drawers were fixed, shelves were purchased and put together, things organized and put away, beds were made with fresh clean sheets all for Cheri to come home and praise Jesus for all He had done with little time and just a few.

At the end of the day - God did something no man could envision. Over 100 hours of loving care (all multiplied by God) and under $400. we had accomplished what only God could do. Just before leaving on Sunday night Cheri gathered us in her living room -which was impossible that morning - to take a picture of the crew and to pray God's blessing over us. It was a prayer that brought tears to our eyes. We came to serve her and not to serve-us and we ended our day with the sick serving us.

I stopped to meet the neighbor as my ride waited in the rode. Steve and Paula did not know Cheri nor did they know she needed help nor did they know she was dying of cancer and would leave her son behind alone. They readily agreed to help when I asked them to clean her gutters and seal her leaking window. I told them we came to be used by Jesus and I just felt that Jesus wanted to use them. The next day Steve the neighbor was there to assess the situation.

Cheri went to treatment the next morning and shared her blessing with a very bitter/angry at God friend (Maggie) she had met on previous mornings. Cheri's friend was touched by what God had done through 12 people as her eyes welled up with tears. Maggie saw Jesus! The next day (which is today) Maggie was won to the Jesus by Cheri.

Sometime since Sunday Cheri also shared with another friend in a store about what God had done for her and her friend Virginia the skeptic said, "This is not what Christians do. I need my kitchen painted and no one has ever offered to help me this way." Cheri stopped and before leaving the store called her church and told her story and they agreed to mobilize a crew to help Virginia "the skeptic" paint her kitchen because this is what believers do. This was a miracle because we asked the church to clean the house of Cheri several days before we arrived and they just made an appearance while leaving bathrooms, floors, dishes piled up in sinks and counters uncleaned (apparently too overwhelmed to stay the course.) Even though we saw no evidence of their effort we all understood the reasons why.

A member of our new church shared a need - the True Vine body responded by setting a date, agreeing not to go to a service but instead being the service. I have not the words to describe what it meant to skip the service on Sunday to be in service on Sunday. The implications of going on Sunday are too much to share here.

I share this story not for our glory! I share this story to lift up Jesus and the example of what He wishes to do through all of us who claim to be the Church. Don't misunderstand us - we are not opposed to those who go to church until the going replaces the being and serving and being Jesus for all the world to see. Within the DNA of our new Christ family is the commitment of being free to go wherever God asks us to go and do whatever God asks us to do. We have not the words to describe how Jesus answered our prayer to help us wherever He leads us.

What started as a small job to do some jobs of repair ended up being a "total" Home Makeover that led to a soul "make-over" and a church mobilized to also show the world who Jesus is and who the church is not just supposed to be.

For a further read and perspective visit Pastor Terry -sunministries.blogspot.com

No praise for us -we went for Jesus and we praise the Jesus the world needs to see. We pray this short story of missional transformation will breed more results of missional transformation in us and others. When we move out to show Jesus to the world -Jesus gives us opportunities in the most unexpected places.

15 Comments:

At December 12, 2006 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Words fail me. And you KNOW that's serious. I'll have to borrow from others. "Praise God from whom all blessings flow."

 
At December 12, 2006 6:35 PM, Blogger Dr. Terry M. Goodwin said...

Mike - get some caffeine quick.

I have just posted a photo of the work crew and the family. It is on my BLOG.

http://sunministries.blogspot.com

I have made some sharp comments on Bob's BLOG in the past. I know that some may take offense. But let's get serious here. As serious as cancer. People are dying everyday. Many don't know the love of Christ. I am not questioning people's motives or passions. I am questioning...

Now I have a serious question for everyone that comes here. Don't take this the wrong way. I just have to know.

Will you go?

Will you step up and organize, motivate, assemble, prepare, and lead a group to go be?

Take one Sunday off and don't show up for church service but rather gather together and be church through service.

Will you be the one to show Jesus to others?

As we BLOG back and forth and discuss what might be - people are dying. Without Jesus. Without hope. Without Love. Without peace.

Whatever you and your church is doing - it is not enough. As I wait to be blasted I think I will go and watch Schindler's List.

 
At December 13, 2006 6:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terry, I don't disagree with you at all. But why do we have to take a Sunday away from church to be church? Why the emphasis on doing this on Sunday?

There is value in gathering together; the Bible says so. I know it becomes a problem when you're gathering together INSTEAD of being the church or to avoid being the church. But I do not understand why you, and Bob has said this too, why the emphasis on taking a Sunday to do this?

 
At December 13, 2006 10:50 AM, Blogger Dr. Terry M. Goodwin said...

I am glad you asked Mike. My reasoning is this.

One reason is validation.

By taking a Sunday we are placing an emphasis on serving as a valid means by which to do church. The special emphasis will remove the “mission project” mentality from the efforts.

Another reason is time.

I am not naïve. People have full schedules. When we ask for more time to be dedicated we raise the bar for participation and will then have fewer people participate. By doing this on Sunday and replacing their normal activity with a new activity we eliminate the competing elements from their schedule thus enabling them to serve instead of giving them an excuse to opt out.

Another reason is leadership.

When a church makes a stand and shows that they value serving others above all else, including the Sunday event, then the people will truly be led to serve others.

Another reason is transformation.

This is something that any church “could” do and it would be transformational to the entire congregation and region. Imagine if a church of 3000 would take the risk and do this. Over 200 work crews could be sent out on a single day. What if they all saw similar results on each work crew to what we just had? WOW! Would your area be transformed by such results? What if it became a way of doing church every month? 200 crews every month. Can you imagine? That is why I labeled my BLOG post on this – “Imagine a Ministry” I can see the transformational power of Christ being unleashed all over America if this message gets through and some leaders take brave steps.

My last reason for now – There is value in gathering together to “be” the church instead of “at” the church.

This is something I see missing in American Christianity. We gather “at’ as a primary focus and relegate gathering to “be” as a special work project or mission trip. By our actions we communicate what we value most.

 
At December 13, 2006 12:02 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Miko- You just inspired another blog post. Later!

Where in the world did you get the idea that the church has to gather on Sunday in order to gather? Where in the world did you get the idea that the church has to gather on Sunday in a church building in order to gather the biblical way? I didn't help when I was your pastor!

Why choose Sunday? WHY NOT? Maybe we should deny ourselves the service to us and give ourselves in service to others.

Miko -there are many many more reasons why Sunday is the perfect day.

If the church isn't being the service on the 6 other days why would we expect them to give up their "holy" day to leave the service to be service? If it ain't happening on Monday-Saturday why not try Sunday or if it ain't happening during the week it will likely not happen on Sunday either. So we'll just sit on our butts at the buffet table serving those who are mostly already reached. How wonderful, glorious, redemptive, loving, compassionate, exciting, joyfilled, celebrative, fulfilling, enriching, life-transforming...God is so proud of our wonderful Christian life.

Let's give up something we really love to do something we don't want to do and then we'll find out that the serve-us isn't as fun as being service. It isn't as much work or effort either.

You do what we did and all of the sudden the whole group is looking for another opportunity to share with the church family. I can hardly believe the transformation this is bringing to the hearts of those who went along for the ride.

You don't have to give up your worship either because our group worshipped in the living room and it carried over throughout the day as we watched God work. Hummm!

 
At December 13, 2006 12:57 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Terry -your comments are so good you need to make them a post on your blog!

Miko - what do you think about Terry's answers?

Terry gave five reasons/factors:
Validation
Time
Leadership
Transformation
Priority of "being/serving" over "going to".

I have one more:
Because that's what Jesus would do!

 
At December 13, 2006 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terry: Great answer. Really. Challenging.

Bob: Jesus would do the service whether it was Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, or Saturday. Your answer is rather like saying, "because I said so!" I like Terry's well-thought out and reasoned answer. But I love you! :)

 
At December 13, 2006 4:17 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Mike said, Bob: Jesus would do the service whether it was Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, or Saturday. Your answer is rather like saying, "because I said so!" I like Terry's well-thought out and reasoned answer. But I love you! :)

Bob says, What a surprise! That is exactly what I think Jesus would say! "Because I said so!"

You missed something here. Would Jesus miss the service at church or would Jesus do the service 24/7?
If you are trying to sneak around the barn - you have been caught.

I like Terry's answer too, and I don't have anything much to add -it was a brilliant response. But, I like the answer Jesus would give better "Because I said so!" and so should you.

Love you too!

I love having this last word, at least for now.

 
At December 13, 2006 6:09 PM, Blogger Dr. Terry M. Goodwin said...

Thanks for the encouraging words Mike.

Two Questions.

Are you in a position to influence your church to step out and do this?

Are you willing to take the risk and try to do it?

 
At December 14, 2006 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob: You are a nutcase. No one's missing anything here. Or going around a barn. Or whatever else you're trying to say, but aren't. :) And, by the way, you saying "because I said so" and Jesus saying "because I said so" are two really different things.

Terry: I'm going on the mission board in January. So I have hope of being able to present the idea. I would certainly covet your prayers for my boldness, seasoned with love.

My challenge, I think, will be helping the mission board see mission as more than the money we send to other people to do stuff. I may be entirely wrong here about their focus, but I don't know yet. We also have a new mission board chairman -- and a new pastor -- so the time may be ripe for change.

 
At December 14, 2006 8:40 AM, Blogger Dr. Terry M. Goodwin said...

Mike - not only will I pray for you but I will assist you in any way I can. Just let me know what I can do.

 
At December 14, 2006 1:02 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Mike said, You are a nutcase. No one's missing anything here. Or going around a barn. Or whatever else you're trying to say, but aren't. :) And, by the way, you saying "because I said so" and Jesus saying "because I said so" are two really different things.

Bob says, I've been called alott of things (by good church members) but never a "nutcase". I'll add it to my long and cherished list!

Your are right about the "I said so" verses "He said so" being two different things. But the point is still unanswered. Perhaps the answer is on the other side of the barn. Probably because it is one of those duh!!! questions. I JUST WANTED TO HEAR YOU SAY IT AND POST IT FOR ALL THE WORLD TO SEE. Jesus would not go to the service - He would be service and He would still answer "Because I said so!" Am I right?

Courageous Mike - Who is the new chairman of the Mission's Board? Regardless they will ++++, I sure hope the will ****. I can hardly wait for this one. I love controversy.

I respect you greatly for trying and if they say "no" you can do it anyway. On second thought, why don't you do it anyway? Why ask the church leaders first? Why not show them before you ask them? You make your own decisions. They do not control you. Recruit a whole group to "skip church" with you. They can go also, they all have a free will.

I'm already praying for you. It would be great if they would cancel a Sunday "morning" service to Be SERVICE on Sunday morning.

Love your heart, Mike! Love you, Mike! I love messing with you, Mike! I'm trying to raise your blood pressure, Mike!

Your "nutcase" friend (quote by a good church member).

 
At December 15, 2006 6:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For Bob:

Jesus would go and would serve, not sit in service. But there could be a chance, at least, that he would serve in a church service. I've certainly experienced him in a church service.

Happy yet?

 
At December 15, 2006 11:06 AM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Yay!!!

Mike - my sarcasm is rubbing off on you! I like you more everyday. Don't quit firing back!

I agree there would be a strong chance He would go to a service and all would experience Him. Yay! But the reason He would go to a service wouldn't be for what you have in mind.

What would He do in a church service you ask?

He would kick your butt out of there...And all the others too.

And you would rejoice, I know you would. Best worship service you'll ever experience. I hope I'm there when it happens - I need a good butt kicking.

 
At December 15, 2006 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, all I can say is Amen to that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters