Thursday, February 15, 2007

I love this!

Bill Huffhine wrote a great article called "The Perils of Individualism" and he will forgive me for copying part of his article, a part that answers allot of questions for me. You may want to read his entire article. I just clipped a few paragraphs from the heart of it.

"I have found, however, that people don't tend to appreciate people like me being around. We get a lot of blank stares. We get a lot of polite, patronizing nods. We get a lot of obstacles placed in our way. We are often told to just follow the rules, color within the lines, don't confuse people, and don't disrupt the status quo.

I think the people who react as I just described are simply afraid that our individualism will in some way threaten their stability. They like things to remain calm and uneventful. They don't want there to be even the possibility that our way of doing things will create ripples that eventually reach the placid serenity of their waters.

I don't think the answer is for me to repress my nature. And I don't think the answer is for me to expect others to become like me. I think the answer lies in a mutual pact. In this pact, I need to be patient, kind, and understanding with those who need sameness and stability. And others need to become more open to the new hues of color that people like me may be able to bring into their world, yet patient and gracious with us when we do manage to create nothing but chaos. That happens a lot. But every so often, something beautiful emerges."

2 Comments:

At February 16, 2007 7:31 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Bob!

You have standing permission to share anything you like from my blog.

Love ya bro!

 
At February 16, 2007 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian: You are all different!
Crowd: Yes! We are all different!
Individual (small voice): I'm not.

Monty Python's Life of Brian, 1979

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters