Sunday, July 15, 2007

I'm also amazed, but with questions.

In "Organic Church, Neil Cole says, "It amazes me how much effort and how many resources(time, money, and people)are expended for a single hour once a week. We have made church nothing more than a religious show that takes place on Sunday, and after it is done we all go home,until church starts again next week, same time, same place. Is this what the bride of Christ is?

The Great Commission says that we are to "go out into all the world," but we've turned the whole thing around and made it a "come to us and hear our message."

We expect people to come to church in order to come to Christ, and the people want nothing to do with church...Instead of bringing people to church so that we can then bring them to Christ, let's bring Christ to the people where they live."

The Planter: Amen, Neil! If you cannot say "Amen" to this, why not? If you can say "Amen" to this, why do you?

Does anyone have a solution on how to get this fixed? It seems to me that the church believes in the Great Commission but they do not act on that belief, which makes me wonder if it is even their belief at all. This is a serious indictment and it is meant to be.

2 Comments:

At July 16, 2007 5:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go, Bobert!

A great post. Fires my creative synapses.

How to get the church to embrace what it says it believes in...how to get the church to engage in the purpose the church was created for...how to get the church to DO something, dangit!

Can it be done?

I hope so. Let me think on this, but I'll be back to this post. By the way, if you were trying to snag me with the previous post about black and white and grey ... nice try, but I'm not going down that path. This one is much more interesting. Be back later.

 
At July 16, 2007 10:22 AM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Mike, I did try to snag you in the previous post. I got caught trying. I hate it when that happens.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters