Friday, November 17, 2006

It's Friday, but (Sunday/Jesus) is coming

IT'S FRIDAY, BUT SUNDAY IS COMING

Just think in a few short hours -I mean time is moving way to fast to suit me, thousands (a decreasing number) will go to church on Sunday morning. People of all walks of life will continue the tradition of "going to church". Those thousands who "go to church" do so for a variety of reasons, "I go to church to worship God" or "I go to church to be fed" or "I go to church because that's what good people do" or "I love the programming for my family" or "worship is awesome". Why do you go? Are you being honest with yourself?

Few would admit that they have fallen into the trap of American consumerism that has resulted in "going to church" as a self-consuming and selfish act for many. As a Pastor all these years I've heard enough complaints to prove my point. When the spiritual buffet doesn't have what we want or think we need-we go and find another buffet that looks and tastes better.

IT'S FRIDAY, BUT JESUS IS COMING...
Just think, in a few seconds Jesus could break the eastern sky with the trumpet sound of God and all if not most or many will be surprised. Some will have heart attacks -some will think we are under a terrorist attack, others will start praying (seconds too late), others will be caught up in the air with Jesus! Sadly, most will be senslessly lost forever.

While most or many make the spiritual Sunday buffet the main thing (and won't admit it) sadly, America is lost, but searching for the real deal. It's Friday - Jesus is coming and thousands are searching for Jesus but are "turned off" by the "going to church" and the "product" it has produced in part? Because we make the wrong thing the main thing thousands are filling the spiritual vacuum in their lives by turning to cults and religions that lead them away from the Savior.

It's Friday, but Jesus is coming! It's not a question of "if" -it is "when"! It's not a question of "are you ready" it is "since you are ready will you help others get ready". It's Friday, but Jesus is coming! The sheep have strayed from the Shepherd - will you help them find their way back home? Too many are "copping out" by inviting people to church instead of "stepping out" and inviting people to Jesus through time and sacrifice that builds deep relational trust.

Did you know? The fasting growing religion in America is Wica (satanic origins) and they double every month. It is predicated at the present growth rate that Wica will be the largest religion in America by the year 2012. (Steve Ortmann)

The truth is....(shoot me) if "going to church" is keeping you from "being the church" then it would be better for you to stop "going to church" until you can start "being the Church" and begin living the Great Commission as your primary and all inclusive act of obedience.

Let's "take up our crosses" and follow Jesus by obeying the "supreme" act of obedience (Great Commission) for every believer (no exceptions). Let's get the main thing right and let the other stuff fall in line.

If you label me a heretic -remember that's what the religious community did to Jesus!

8 Comments:

At November 17, 2006 9:30 PM, Blogger Slatts said...

You have hit on what I have been asking myself as a Catholic for a long time. The first time I went to a Non-Catholic Christian service the thing that immediately struck me was the lack of kneelers. Then I looked up and saw no sanctuary. Of course there are no kneelers! There is not blessed Sacrament!

And I wondered to myself then, why do they go to Church?

They retained Sunday. It was the tradition. I am not sure they knew why Sunday. When my World Religions teacher wrongly told my class that sunday worship was a pagan holy day imposed on Christians by Constantine, the Christians in my class were scandalized!

I am not sure the problem is with the tradition, but with the lack of appreciation of the richness of the heritage. Sunday, and a select few holy days, are all that remain in Protestantism from the liturgical calender of the early and Medieval Church. Sacred time (and sacred space) is an empty category in modern Christianity.

The litrugical calender was the way that the Church on earth lives and experiences the life of Christ. Certainly centered on the Resurrection on Sunday, but also encompassing Advent, Christmas, Lent, Easter, Pentecost, and specific feast days for the Holy Family, the epiphany, the baptism of Jesus, the ascention, etc. The life of the Church lived the life of her Lord, meditating on his life and sanctifying time itself with it.

This is the fruit of the Jewish liturgical calender, which Jesus followed quite faithfully. Why? Because it is the lived memory of Israel. One Rabbi explained that there was no Jewish catechism because the liturgical calender was its catechism. Likewise the liturgical life of the Church was her lived memory of Christ, where she retains and understands her identity.

So while I admire and understand the reasons for wanting to de-emphasize Sunday in order to re-emphasize the daily commitment to Jesus, I can only say that there need not be a dichotomy imposed. Sunday should be the point of departure and the culmination of our weekly lives, where we ready ourselves for the future and sanctify the past with spiritual offerings.

 
At November 20, 2006 12:28 AM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Slatts -You still don't get what I am talking about.

If you knew Jesus was coming 30 minutes before mass what would you do?

Please don't tell me you would go to mass?

 
At November 20, 2006 7:46 AM, Blogger Slatts said...

Jesus comes in the mass! If He were to appear beside the alter after the consecration, he would be no more present then than before. As when he disappeared to the disciples on route to emmaus, once He is recognized in the breaking of bread, his physical appearance would only be an obstacle to Eucharistic faith.

If I am misunderstanding, I am sorry. Please correct me.

 
At November 20, 2006 12:07 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Slatts - Tell me if I am wrong, but I am perceiving that you believe that the catholic church is the pillar and bulwark of truth. If so, you cannot know the truth because you refuse to hear any other way. If my perceptions are correct you will have to see the flaws of the institution known as the Catholic Church before you can see anything else. Anyone who cannot see beyond the denomination/religion box will never know if they are deceived! You apparently can only see the box!

Jesus is with us every second, minute and hour of our lives -we don't need the mass nor do we need a priest. We are all a holy priesthood. We have direct access to Jesus!

If you want to keep batting around your defense of the catholic church and her doctrine as your motive for
posting that will be unaceptable.

Otherwise let's be willing to strip away Churchianity and engage biblical Christianity together.

 
At November 20, 2006 1:39 PM, Blogger Slatts said...

Bob, While I appreciate your questioning my intellectual honesty, I am afraid it can only be called rash judgment. Please allow me the courtesy of being wrong by virtue of ingnorace instead of being close-minded. I assume it is without question that I am wrong, though I am not sure why that assumption is necessary.

If you want me to stop commenting, just tell me so. I only began because you told me in another place that you would like to hear more from me. Nothing I said is intended in a harsh-spirit, just another perspective that is ancient and has proved itself worthy of being heard.

If I critique certain aspects of the modern Church am I doing anything other than what you also do? It just happens that we critique the same problems in different ways! We both come from a tradition, and I see no harm in seeing the two both in the places they harmonize and also the places of dissonance.

 
At November 20, 2006 2:14 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Slatts said: Bob, While I appreciate your questioning my intellectual honesty, I am afraid it can only be called rash judgment. Please allow me the courtesy of being wrong by virtue of ingnorace instead of being close-minded. I assume it is without question that I am wrong, though I am not sure why that assumption is necessary.

The Planter -Bob now, Everytime I step close to home the judgement card is drawn. No one is judging anyone here. I just wanted to know if you were open minded -which you state you are. I am not assuming you are wrong -I just want you to admit that the institutional church is failing America and we are on a journey to discover the Why! The Catholic Church has failed and so has the Protestant/Evangelical whatever church has failed America.

I would never want you to stop posting - actually I love controversy but our mission is to deprogram enough to see if there is Truth we are missing - I believe we have missed the boat and the sharks are circling us.

Also -I was wondering if you are defending more than you are hearing - but you answered that for me.

I'm direct -but don't call me judgemental please -that I am not. While I do grow weary of traditional ineffectiveness (and that comes through) often displaying an attitude I love the input. I just want you to flesh it out more deeply.

I really enjoy hanging out with the very worldly of the worldy and I love them without judgement.

Let's stay away from getting defensive which is very hard to do on this blog site -ask me I know personally how hard it can get.

We'll both toughen up and listen to each other more clearly as time goes on.

I wanted to push you a bit but certaintly not over the cliff. Hang on help is on its way.

 
At November 20, 2006 3:08 PM, Blogger Slatts said...

Certainly the "institutional Church" is failing. It does not take much to admit that, except perhaps eyes! As I mentioned, we are diagnosing the same problem (the failing Church) with different prognoses.

In fact, I believe our prognoses to be very similar! A very personalistic approach that I have continuously agreed with you with, as well as the central importance of the GC.

I think perhaps in addition to your coming post on Constantine, you do another explaining what you mean by "institutionalized", which is the reason you gave for being critical of him.

I think it is in this exact point that our two remedies have different ingredients.

 
At September 14, 2007 10:11 PM, Blogger NoelAnn said...

Hi! I googled something and this post came up! What a great post! You are both talking about the same thing. The Instutional church is indeed failing and Christ is indeed present in the eucharist - as He is present at all times in every day life. To those who believe it - they are bought closer to Christ though the eucharist. To those who don't, they don't. Jesus Christ lives and is alive today, every day from the beging of time to eternal bliss. On Sunday, in a place of worship, in the bathroom, the hair salon, gas station supermarket and everywhere else. HALLELUIJA!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters