Monday, February 19, 2007

Jesus never had a pulpit to preach from!

I had time to scan through the religious Church broadcasts last night. The thing that stood out was pulpit after pulpit after pulpit. Did anyone notice the magnitude and magnificent things we preachers have and do preach the Word behind. Whoever came up with the pulpit idea?

My memory went away with me and I cannot begin to tell you how many sermons I preached behind the pulpit. In one church I pastored we had two different pulpits. During our traditional first service we used the 100+ year old wood pulpit (we put wheels on it) and during our contemporary second service we used the see through acrylic pulpit.

Maybe I was sleeping when we discussed the pulpit in church history, but, I have no idea where the pulpit came from and why it remains such a huge and important Sunday necessity. Why is the pulpit or lack thereof such a big deal?

3 Comments:

At February 20, 2007 3:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't a pulpit just a practical solution to hold your bible and your notes as you speak, teach, or preach?

I don't think everyone has the ability to speak without notes or references.

Other solutions, like a desk or having someone hold the notes seem less practicable.

Have I missed the deeper signifance here? Is the pulpit a sign of the declining institutional church. What would an emergent church have - someone in the nude on all fours with notes resting on his back, surrounded by candles and burning incense?

 
At February 20, 2007 10:55 AM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

This is a gut buster!

 
At February 20, 2007 11:45 AM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

I always used notes, but my favorite thing to hold the notes was a metal music stand. But for some reason, people missed the pulpit.

I was watching the church programs on Sunday night and these pulpits are more prominent and elaborate I just wondered why. Who really needs those monster over-sized pulpits, the pastor/the members, others or Jesus?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters