Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Paul Walker and the Church in England

Big Bulky Anglican took a swipe at the Church of England's love of getting us to fill in statistical surveys recently. I agree with what he writes! 'Statistics for Mission' is a code word for 'how many people come to your church?', which I would argue is not really the same thing.

pewfiller.jpgI was pondering about this yesterday. We have to fill in a (different to the above) form which counts the number of adults who come to 'any Sunday service' in our Church. It's used to calculate the 'Share' payment, the contribution that we make the cost of running the Church. Now, we've just started up a work with 'young adults' - which in the slightly vague way that we have in the Church means anyone under 35 years old (some churches would regard anyone under 60 as being in that category, but that's for another post!). Anyway, the group met last evening and I happened to notice that there were quite a number of them who hadn't been 'in Church' that day. Horror of Horrors! Yes, they had skipped 'proper church' and only come to the young adults meeting!!!

So, were they 'in Church' yesterday? Theologically I would say 'yes, they were'. Gathering in a house, cracking open a few bottles of wine, eating pizza, and talking about how the bible speaks about 'love' (tenuous link to Valentines Day in case you were wondering!)... was it 'church'? I think so. The wider question is whether they should be counted in the figures that the Church of England is collecting. And I think the answer is probably 'no'. The reason for that is that the Church itself seems to want to define itself as 'those who come into our building on a Sunday morning'. So, whilst I regard those young adults as being every bit as much a part of 'the church' (i.e the community of faith in this place), the Church of England hasn't yet caught on to missional church enough to officially count them 'in'.

Isn't the Church of England wonderful 3.gif

THE PLANTER: Does this remind you of America? This picture scared me to death, a flash from my past. I used to preach to people like this, they look barely alive.

8 Comments:

At February 20, 2007 12:26 PM, Blogger Rick Dugan said...

Since I work under the umbrella of the Anglican Diocese of Cyprus and the Gulf, you know I'm going to comment on this one, Bob. ;-)

Yes, the double-speak subsituting 'mission' for 'attenders' is pretty sad. But there are signs of life! The second and third Anglican leaders are going through Keystone this March, and we are implementing disciple-making ministries that are relationally based throughout Nicosia with the goal of providing training to Anglicans throughout Cyprus.

About 100 people show up to the Anglican service Sunday morning, but between 500-1000 people get ministered to in some way throughout the week. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like their stats would count that as 'mission.'

 
At February 20, 2007 2:21 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

I am amazed that you are connected with the Keystone project. I am attending the April keystone for the second time to work with our leaders attending.

Rick, if you ever get a chance to attend you must doing it.

Terry Goodwin is attending the March keystone and I would for those guys to connect with him.

 
At February 20, 2007 8:33 PM, Blogger Rick Dugan said...

Bob,

I've been a coach at the Keystone Project twice and I'm currrently coaching leaders in the UK, Cyprus, Kenya, South Africa, and Malawi. In addition to multi-generational, grass-roots discipleship taking place in Cyprus, I'm coordinating further training here for the Middle East, North Africa, and Europe.

I'm a World Partners missionary, but I pastor the Nicosia International Church and work closely with the Anglican Church of Cyprus and the Gulf.

The guys attending in March a great. They are definitely Anglican (one is a priest and the archdeacon of Cyprus). But this is why I continue to say that focusing on church structure has less to do with fascilitating discipleship movements than focusing on making disciples. In fact, in countries (such as most in Europe) where church affiliation is not a choice, but a fate, a persons religious affiliation is a deep part of their identity in a way that it isn't in the USA. Trying to deconstruct the church in these situations is a waste of energy and a distraction from disciple-making.

Disciple-making can still take place in the institutional church if leaders make it a priority, are willing to release ministry, and are willing to give their energy to ministry outside the church as well.

 
At February 20, 2007 8:36 PM, Blogger Rick Dugan said...

Just reread my post, and I'm not sure I was entirely clear. I think it's more fruitful to put my energy into making disciples than into deconstructing church. Disciple-making can happen both in and out of church. It's more important to be pro-discipleship than anti-whatever.

 
At February 20, 2007 10:58 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Rick, I'm with you as long as we can lead people to believe that making disciples is the reason Jesus leaves us on this earth. In or out, who cares as long as the main thing either remains or becomes the main thing.

Keep doing a great job! Love to meet you sometime.

 
At February 20, 2007 11:02 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Rick, I never thought otherwise of you! You are a pro disciple making reproducing movement leading multiplier.

I'll have to refer to you as coach Rick.

I can do enough deconstruction for both of us.

 
At February 21, 2007 6:49 AM, Blogger Rick Dugan said...

Hey, if I can make another shameless plug, check out the video 'King of the Hill Looks for a New Church' on my blog: www.honest2blog.wordpress.com

You'll die laughing.

 
At February 21, 2007 6:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read about Keystone in the Missionary Church magazine...was very interested.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters