Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I caught "mean mamma" behaving badly..

This past week Michelle & I did some yard work at our burned home and before returning back to our apartment, we stopped for a quick supper at Kentucky Fried Chicken. Two gals, both African American helped take care of our order. By the way, two very helpful young gals, both working very hard to make our meal enjoyable.

Then a couple in their 50's were next in line. They ordered and sat a few tables from us. I watched as they bowed to thank God for their meal. Interesting! As they were almost finished with their meal, I'll call her "mean mamma" went to the counter and proceeded to verbally abuse the young lady who forgot to give her the dessert she ordered. It was a scene of a lifetime. She talked down, mean and bad, so much so that she sent the young gal over the edge and she blew back! The "bad mamma" abuse was so bad, I didn't blame the young gal for losing it. She did not deserve to be treated that way. No one deserves to be treated that way.

As "mean mamma" and daddy finished their meal, I stalled mine. I wanted to see what was going to happen next. They went on and on at their table and the more they talked the madder they became. The "bad mamma" kept her eyes glazed at the young girl. They talked loud enough for all to hear that they were going to call corporate KFC to complain. As the couple left, "bad mamma" lingered slowly past the girl with cutting stares just waiting for an opportunity to jump down her through. "Bad mamma" was not ready to give up the fight. They left, the gal was spared another attack.

So as we were leaving KFC, I went back to the counter and told the gal she didn't deserve the abuse by "mean mamma." It was wrong of "mean mamma" and I'm sorry you went through that. Then I handed her by business card and I told her to give it to her manager and I would tell the manager "mean mamma" was in the wrong. She expressed great thanks and we left.

Later I was struck by the fact that whenever I need a business card I never seem to have one. I seem to forget to put them in my wallet. For some strange reason, I still don't know why, but I had one in the right pocket of my shorts. I must have just picked one up out of my truck, but I do not know why! Why the business card, well, the business card says what I do and perhaps the gal saw this couple pray or just needed to know God cared for her. It was weird.

It also reminded me that because I know Jesus it doesn't give me entitlements or the right to rip on someone. Sometimes I think we Christians feel entitled to being treated better than others. It may come from the "service -serve us" we have grown accustomed to at church. I don't know. Just some random thoughts. What do you think?

And, be thankful "mean mamma" isn't in your face trying to get you fired - for Jesus!

5 Comments:

At May 29, 2007 7:51 PM, Blogger Scott said...

Hey Bob,

You should have went over to mean-mommas table and said that you noticed that they had said a prayer, and ask if she would be willing share Jesus with you? She might have understood just how poor of a witness she had been.

 
At May 29, 2007 11:47 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Hey Kick, I wish you were with me, I needed you!

 
At May 30, 2007 11:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I see this all the time. I can't tell you the number of times I've thought to myself, "If Christians were the only thing I had to point me to Christ I would never have become a Christian."

 
At May 31, 2007 12:40 PM, Blogger gltnforpnshmnt said...

i'm glad Christians did point me to Jesus.

 
At June 02, 2007 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder what would have happened if you'd gone up to the counter and stood at Mean Mama's side? Right by her at the counter... Smiling. Then you could start to hum (you better not sing, you know) Amazing Grace, or something. I get all smiley just thinking about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters