Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Churchianity or Christianity. I'm optimistic

While some of my posts reflect a discouraging reality there is reason for optimism. The Church of Jesus Christ is alive and well in the world. Lives are being transformed as disciples are making disciples and God-birthed Churches are started.

We are seeing Christianity come alive as devoted Christ followers are mobilizing as a passionate army engaging the purposes of God in complete obedience to the Great Commission. As a result Christ followers are being released and unburdened from shackles of Churchianity. Christianity around the world is taking on a whole new meaning as Christ followers are bursting away from forms, traditions, methods, structures, and institutions when and where these things are hindering the purposes and mission of God. The future of the Church of Jesus Christ has never been brighter since the days of the early Church. This Christianity I'm describing cannot be held in boxes of limitation or controlled by man as God leads us.

We are beginning to see Churchianity in America being replaced with authentic biblical Christianity. I'm seeing biblical Christ followers making the main thing the main thing. The main thing is lived out as the purposes of God are owned and lived in complete obedience. Christianity is best represented by an authentic "world impacting" Body of Christ mobilized to personally change the world one life at a time. Christianity cannot be programmed because it is out of control as lives are being changed and then released to make disciples themselves as commanded for all.

Optimism fills my heart as Churchianity is seen for what she really is and is being replaced by a pure - organic Christianity in America. I'm not talking about a structure or style but I am describing a New Testament modern day movement as Christ followers are moving out the binding of Churchianity and into the freedom of Christianity. Many caught up in Churchianity as the main thing will need to change, deprogram, and open their eyes and hearts in order to see past Americanized Christianity or Churchianity if they are to experience what God is doing. Many are longing for it, others are seeing it and a growing number are experiencing it. For many, I fear they will hang on tightly to something that looks and feels good but in time will find themselves left behind in an unsettling dust.

Christianity in the purest biblical description is sweeping America! This is cause for rejoicing! God is stirring up the church to become the Church in a Reformation the world has never seen.

2 Comments:

At November 22, 2006 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps this post is not the best place for this Lewis quote, but I think it fits.


C.S. Lewis wrote:
"I too had noticed that our prayers for others flow more
easily than those we offer on our own behalf. And it would be
nice to accept your view that this just shows we are made to
live by charity. I'm afraid, however, I detect two much less
attractive reasons for the ease of my own intercessory prayers.

One is that I am often, I believe, praying for others when I should be doing things for them. (emphasis added) It's so much easier to pray for a bore than to go and see him. And the other is like unto it.

Suppose I pray that you may be given grace to withstand your besetting sin (short list of candidates for this post will be forwarded on demand). Well, all the work has to be done by God and you. If I pray against my own besetting sin there will be work for me. One sometimes fights shy of
admitting an act to be a sin for this very reason.
... C. S. Lewis (1898-1963), Letters to Malcolm [1964]

 
At November 22, 2006 9:58 AM, Blogger Slatts said...

The term Churchianity has come up a lot. It is contrasted to "biblical Christianity" and it contrasted to the real "Church". But it still seems like a very nebulous category (that is, I don't know what it means yet). Could you please flesh it out a bit more?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters